RE: [dhcwg] dhc wg last call on agentopt-delegate and srsn-optiondrafts

"Bernie Volz \(volz\)" <volz@cisco.com> Sat, 10 February 2007 00:28 UTC

Subject: RE: [dhcwg] dhc wg last call on agentopt-delegate and srsn-optiondrafts
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2007 19:28:47 -0500
From: "Bernie Volz (volz)" <volz@cisco.com>
To: Stig Venaas <stig.venaas@uninett.no>, dhcwg <dhcwg@ietf.org>
DKIM-Signature: v=0.5; a=rsa-sha256; q=dns/txt; l=4065; t=1171067331; x=1171931331; c=relaxed/simple; s=rtpdkim1001; h=Content-Type:From:Subject:Content-Transfer-Encoding:MIME-Version; d=cisco.com; i=volz@cisco.com; z=From:=20=22Bernie=20Volz=20\(volz\)=22=20<volz@cisco.com> |Subject:=20RE=3A=20[dhcwg]=20dhc=20wg=20last=20call=20on=20agentopt-dele gate=20and=20srsn-optiondrafts |Sender:=20 |To:=20=22Stig=20Venaas=22=20<stig.venaas@uninett.no>, =20=22dhcwg=22=20<d hcwg@ietf.org>; bh=qHMKrNFfBEKkPlh1kgn3cSZhoIDlWcrssUD4Fi1cQ74=; b=NllM3alL6NGa1GkQHHD2m38HizCh/1gDyKsSNKlqCgIdo0aGq1cCHnlca7mh2UjkcPnVVrdQ tj6tqwLYTJz2Q8D+uIiZ5JLAxTnYY/mAufsWSAjapB23upncx5+nU8hd;

I'd also suggest that members read
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-stenberg-pd-route-maintenance-
00.txt.

Perhaps agentopt-delegate combined with some of the concepts in this
other draft (such as Bidirectional Forwarding Detection (BFD)) can be
used to provide additional information/feedback loops to address some of
the shortcomings. In particular, if a client releases or declines a
delegated prefix or stateful address but the router fails to receive the
Reply with the updated RAAN information, the router would find out via
BFD that the client is no longer using it and could stop announcing the
route (and/or perform a leasequery to assure it has updated
information).

I too do not feel that having the DHCP server handle the route injection
is feasible; it comes with its own set of issues since the server has no
idea whether the router(s) are up, the full paths (hops) to the routers,
the metrics with which to advertise the routes, etc.

Snooping has its own set of issues and complexities. Even more so with
DHCP authentication as you probably don't want to require the relay also
have the keys. Snooping is also subject to the issues that the SRSN
option attempted to solve, so if snooping were the desired solution, we
still need the SRSN option.

- Bernie