RE: [dhcwg] RE: [Mip6] [Updated] DHCP Option for Home InformationDiscovery inMIPv6

"Chowdhury, Kuntal" <kchowdhury@starentnetworks.com> Fri, 23 June 2006 02:22 UTC

Subject: RE: [dhcwg] RE: [Mip6] [Updated] DHCP Option for Home InformationDiscovery inMIPv6
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 22:19:15 -0400
From: "Chowdhury, Kuntal" <kchowdhury@starentnetworks.com>
To: Vijay Devarapalli <vijay.devarapalli@azairenet.com>, Behcet Sarikaya <sarikaya@ieee.org>
Cc: mip6@ietf.org, Heejin Jang <heejin.jang@samsung.com>, dhcwg@ietf.org

Sorry, I am not getting this. Why are we dragging WiMAX and 3GPP2
references to justify the need for basic DHCP op-codes for HoA/HL/HA
info?

draft-jang-mip6-hiopt-00.txt defines the DHCPv6 op-codes for HA, HoA and
HL info.

draft-ietf-mip6-bootstrapping-integrated-dhc-01.txt is the MIP6
bootstrapping solution that leverages DHCPv6 for HA/HL bootstrapping.

There are tons of I-Ds and solutions in IETF that leverage other I-Ds.
So, what is so special here? The decision to NOT merge these I-Ds was
taken in the bootstrap DT. Why are we wasting people's time here to
revisit basic decisions?

-Kuntal

EAP

<heejin.jang@samsung.com>
> > Sent: Wednesday, June 21, 2006 4:48:10 PM
> > Subject: RE: [dhcwg] RE: [Mip6] [Updated] DHCP Option for Home
> > Information Discovery inMIPv6
> >
> > Gerardo,
> >
> > I think it helps to understand the components of the full picture.
> >
> > [a] Delivery of the info from home AAA to the NAS
> > [b] Delivery of the info from the NAS (DHCP relay) to the DHCP
server.
> > [c] Delivery of the info from the DHCP server to the DHCP client
> > [d] Plumbing of all these components
> >

> > [a], [b], and [c] are all protocol work. [d] is just informational.
> >
> > The document draft-ietf-mip6-bootstrapping-integrated-dhc-01.txt
covers
> [b]
> > and [d].
> >
> > WiMAX does not use [b]. For that there is no need to have a
normative
> > reference to draft-ietf-mip6-bootstrapping-integrated-dhc-01.txt. It
> could
> > have an informative reference to it, but it does not have to.
> >
> > Alper

and
> >  > then draft-jang is applied. Is this really different from what is
> >  > described in the DT draft?
> >  >
> >  > --Gerardo
> >  >
> >  > > > the
> >  > > > WiMAX forum NWG can still use the DHCP options wherever
> >  > > > they are defined.
> >  > >
> >  > > Yes. And WiMAX Forum could also use it even if IETF had
> > concatenated all
> >  > of
> >  > > the RFCs and I-Ds under a single document too.... This I-D
being
> >  > referenced
> >  > > whereas the draft-ietf-mip6-bootstrapping-integrated-dhc-01.txt
> wasn't
> >  > is a
> >  > > solid proof that the former I-D is useful without having to be
> >  > integrated
> >  > > into the latter.
> >  > >
> >  > >
> >  > > > >>the only other mechanism is to manually
> >  > > > >>configure the DHCP servers in the visited link with
> >  > > > >>information like home agent address, home address and home
> >  > > > >>prefix. this is a bad idea.
> >  > >
> >  > >
> >  > > You know that one does not have to put DHCP servers on every
subnet,
> >  > instead
> >  > > one can rely on DHCP relays. And that's the used technique for
many
> >  > > enterprise networks. So, I don't see why this is a bad idea.
> >  > >
> >  > > Alper
> >  > >
> >  > >