RE: [dhcwg] Renumbering Requirements for Stateless DHCPv6

Changming Liu <cliu@netscreen.com> Tue, 02 March 2004 22:20 UTC

From: Changming Liu <cliu@netscreen.com>
To: 'JINMEI Tatuya / ???? ' <jinmei@isl.rdc.toshiba.co.jp>, 'Tim Chown ' <tjc@ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Cc: "'dhcwg@ietf.org '" <dhcwg@ietf.org>
Subject: RE: [dhcwg] Renumbering Requirements for Stateless DHCPv6
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2004 14:13:56 -0800
Sender: dhcwg-admin@ietf.org

This draft comes at the exact time we need it. We just implemeneted DHCP
server and client and one of our big customers run into this reconfig issue
in their planned deployment right away! I wish I would have read it early.

The scenario is different from the two described in section 3. Our customer
runs DHCP clients on two unpstream interfaces and DHCP server on on
downstream interface which connects to a LAN with PCs, etc, The DHCP is used
just to pass configuration info . Depending on the availaibility of upstream
routers which have different DNS server setup among other configs, the DHCP
server needs to update DNS to the LAN immediately to avoid service outage.
Note that these DNS servers are in different zones. This, to my opinion,
should be another major scenario: dynamic change of config info.

In section 5, among three proposed mechanisms, to me, only 1) looks viable.
Multicast support should not be any issue anyway. Is it true that the entire
stateless auto-config and ND are based on that? The only concern may be
security for forged reconfigure message. But this is a more generic issue
than just for reconfigure message itself. Or am I missing something?

The lifetime has several significant drawbacks. The first one is how to
engineer the lifetime value? A difficult choice. if too long it will cause
too long delay, which is unacceptable for service shortage. if too short, it
may cause periodic storms of request/replies. This itself sounds like a
attack to me. The second one is the maintenance effort for both server and
client to maintain these timers as someone pointed out in the meeting.

The third option looks better, but it won't work between upstream router and
downstream router using DHCPv6 to pass auto-config info. The draft requires
the DHCP relay which may not exist in the scenario I just described.

I guess, actually, the debate, if any,  will boil down to event-driven or
polling? which is better and efficient? Agree?

Changming Liu
Netscreen Technologies Inc.