RE: [dhcwg] Re: I-D: draft-volz-dhc-dhcpv6-fqdn-00.txt

"Bernie Volz" <volz@cisco.com> Mon, 16 August 2004 23:52 UTC

From: Bernie Volz <volz@cisco.com>
To: 'Ted Lemon' <mellon@nominum.com>
Subject: RE: [dhcwg] Re: I-D: draft-volz-dhc-dhcpv6-fqdn-00.txt
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 19:36:06 -0400
Cc: dhcwg@ietf.org
Sender: dhcwg-bounces@ietf.org

Ted:

Thanks for your feedback on this issue.

Others, please chime in with your thoughts/opinions.

One possibility is to allow both.

The simple case just has the client FQDN option in the IA_*-options field
for both the client and server and one name applies to all of the address.

The complex case (if the server determines that a unique name is required
for each address) it can use the alternate form - putting the client FQDN
option into the IAaddr-options field (as currently specified).

Since it requires client (and server) support for the complex case, we can
use a "flag" bit to allow the client to specify whether it can support the
complex case. By default (if the bit is 0), the client (and server) can only
use the simple case. If the bit is set, it is up to the server to determine
whether to use the simple or complex case, based on the addresses and the
configuration.

- Bernie