RE: [dhcwg] dhcpv6-24: Interface-ID option

"Bound, Jim" <Jim.Bound@hp.com> Wed, 15 May 2002 19:29 UTC

Subject: RE: [dhcwg] dhcpv6-24: Interface-ID option
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 15:28:24 -0400
From: "Bound, Jim" <Jim.Bound@hp.com>
To: Ralph Droms <rdroms@cisco.com>, dhcwg@ietf.org
Sender: dhcwg-admin@ietf.org

the one place we need to be careful with the interface ID is if the link-address is link-local from the client.  then the server has no clue regardless of the interface id. The server must look at the IP header from the relay to figure everything out.

we should put the required scoped value of the address on the interface of the relay in the link address.  or else the relay now needs to maintain state to find the client.

I am not sure what the interface id is buying us but it is useful field for the future for sure I can think of many reasons such as a future partitioned IPv6 link.

/jim