[dhcwg] Proposed resolution to DNA issue 11: Reachability test

Bernard Aboba <aboba@internaut.com> Wed, 28 January 2004 11:26 UTC

Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 12:48:31 -0800
From: Bernard Aboba <aboba@internaut.com>
To: dhcwg@ietf.org
Subject: [dhcwg] Proposed resolution to DNA issue 11: Reachability test
Sender: dhcwg-admin@ietf.org

The DNA issues list is available at:
http://www.drizzle.com/~aboba/DNA/dnaissues.html

The text of DNA issue 11 is enclosed below.  The proposed resolution is as
follows:

Add the following definition to the terminology section (1.2):

"Valid address
     In this specification, the term "valid address" refers to either a
     staticly configured IPv4 address, or an address assigned via DHCPv4
     which has not been relinquished, and whose lease has not expired."

Change Section 2.1 to the following:

"2.1.  Reachability Test

   The purpose of the reachability test is to determine whether the host
   is connected to a network on which it has a valid routable IPv4
   address.

   The host skips the reachability test in the following circumstances:

   [a] If the host does not have good reason to believe that
       is connected to a network on which it has a valid
       routable IPv4 address.  Since confirming failure of
       the reachability test requires considerable latency,
       mistakes are costly.  In the absence of other
       evidence, a host SHOULD instead send a DHCPREQUEST
       from the INIT-REBOOT state, as described in [RFC2131],
       Section 3.2 and 4.3.2.

   [b] If the host believes that it is connected to a network
       on which it does not have a valid routable IPv4 address.
       A Link-Local IPv4 address does not count as a valid
       routable IPv4 address, nor does an IPv4 address assigned
       via DHCPv4, but whose lease has expired.  In this case,
       the host SHOULD send a DHCPDISCOVER from the INIT state,
       as described in [RFC2131] Section 4.4.

   [c] If the host does not have information on default
       gateway(s) on the network to which it believes it is
       connected.

   The reachability test is performed by attempting to verify
   reachability of default gateway(s) on a former point of attachment.
   The host may probe only the primary default gateway, or it may probe
   primary and secondary default gateways, in series or in parallel.
   However, the host MUST only configure default gateway(s) which pass
   the reachability test.

   If the test is successful, the host may continue to use a valid
   routable IPv4 address without having to re-acquire it.

   This reduces roaming latency by allowing the host to bypass DHCP as
   well as subsequent Duplicate Address Detection (DAD).  In contrast to
   a DHCP exchange, which may be between a DHCP client and an offlink
   DHCP server, the reachability test occurs between a host and its next
   hop router."

Issue 11: Reachability test
Submitter: Mark Stapp
Submitter email address: mjs@cisco.com