RE: [dhcwg] DHCPv6 Confirm behaviour & Prefix Delegation

"Bernie Volz (EUD)" <Bernie.Volz@am1.ericsson.se> Thu, 19 September 2002 01:50 UTC

From: "Bernie Volz (EUD)" <Bernie.Volz@am1.ericsson.se>
To: 'Ole Troan' <ot@cisco.com>
Cc: dhcwg@ietf.org
Subject: RE: [dhcwg] DHCPv6 Confirm behaviour & Prefix Delegation
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 20:42:42 -0500
Sender: dhcwg-admin@ietf.org

Ole:

CONFIRM is to confirm that the link is valid (or more clearly that the client is very
likely still connected (or not connected) to the same link it was on when it obtained
the address). Not that the entire configuration is valid. The assumption though is that
the configuration is valid as the client is still located where it was and the previous
lifetimes and renewal times can thus still apply.

Why do you need this to do more? If the addresses in the CONFIRM are valid, why would the
prefixes not be? We're not validating the lifetimes - just the prefixes for the addresses.

If prefix delegations are included (and the server supports prefixes), it may be able to
determine that these prefixes are valid "down the link" from which the CONFIRM came.
Probably more importantly, it can confirm if those are NOT valid. I assume that CONFIRMs
would always come from downstream routers? If a server receives the Confirm that doesn't
understand the prefix delegations, than it should only respond if it can Confirm the
prefixes for the addresses.

I do think we should add something to the CONFIRM text that says that if the server has no
options on which to base the confirmation, it must NOT reply. This case would handle the
situation where a server receives a CONFIRM but there are no options on which it can base
the decision. I think the existing text already accommodates this:
   If the server is unable to perform this test
   (for example, the server does not have information about prefixes on
   the link to which the client is connected), the server MUST NOT send
   a reply to the client.
However, it would be better to explain this just in case. Perhaps by replacing the above
text with:
   If the server is unable to perform this test
   (for example, the server does not have information about prefixes on
   the link to which the client is connected or there are no options in
   the CONFIRM for the server to test), the server MUST NOT send
   a reply to the client.

We've discussed what CONFIRM is for many times and I'd hate to reopen that discussion. By
adding the options, I fear that it will quickly be used to confirm more than whether the
client is on the correct link or not. For example, if the client sent a Domain Name option
but the Reply doesn't list that option, should the client consider the Confirm to have failed
to fully confirm its configuration. That is NOT what we wanted CONFIRM to do!

- Bernie