[dhcwg] Delegated prefix managed by multiple entities

"Woundy, Richard" <Richard_Woundy@cable.comcast.com> Thu, 15 February 2007 05:33 UTC

Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 00:32:46 -0500
From: "Woundy, Richard" <Richard_Woundy@cable.comcast.com>
To: dhcwg <dhcwg@ietf.org>
Cc: "Woundy, Richard" <Richard_Woundy@cable.comcast.com>
Subject: [dhcwg] Delegated prefix managed by multiple entities

>> In the worst
>> case, the delegated prefix is reachable from the Internet through
>> another network path (perhaps unknown to the DHCP server), but
because
>> the delegated prefix is advertised by the DHCP server, traffic is
>> drawn to the CMTS and is blackholed. It might even be possible for a
>> routing loop to form.

>This is the first time I think anyone has suggested that DHCPv6
delegated prefixes in this case would be administratively controlled by
multiple independent entities.

Please allow me to use a potentially controversial example in this
reply.

Suppose a business entity/organization approaches both a cable operator
and an alternative broadband provider (e.g. a telco) for multihomed
Internet connectivity, bringing their own Provider Independent prefix
per <http://tools.ietf.org/wg/ipv6/draft-hain-ipv6-pi-addr-10.txt> and
<http://tools.ietf.org/wg/ipv6/draft-hain-ipv6-pi-addr-use-10.txt>.

Note: please do not use this example as an endorsement of PI addressing.
The second draft enumerates why PI addressing is difficult for service
providers.

Anyway, suppose the cable operator uses DHCP-PD to send the PI prefix to
the customer's cable modem, for broadband service over DOCSIS. Further
suppose that the PI prefix is injected into the IGP by the DHCP server.
The alternative provider sets up routing as appropriate to their
environment. At this point, traffic to the customer's PI address on the
cable operator's backbone would be forwarded to the CMTS (and to the
CM), traffic on the alternative provider's backbone would be routed over
the alternative broadband network, and general Internet traffic would be
routed to either the cable operator or the alternative provider based on
routing topology and preferences in various national/worldwide
backbones.

Now suppose that the customer's cable modem goes offline. From what I've
seen, we don't have a mechanism for the DHCP server to figure out very
quickly that the cable modem is offline, so the PI prefix remains in the
cable backbone IGP routing tables. That means that cable network traffic
directed to the customer's PI address will still be routed to the CMTS,
where it will be blackholed. Some general Internet traffic to the PI
address will also be blackholed.

If the CMTS is responsible for PI prefix injection into the IGP, then
the CMTS could detect the cable modem going offline in minutes, if not
in seconds, and remove the PI prefix from the IGP routing tables. Then
cable network traffic (and some Internet traffic) that would have
otherwise been blackholed at the CMTS, could be routed to the alternate
broadband provider's network -- thus enabling a highly available network
connection for the multihomed organization.

This is why having a "stale route" in the IGP can be an issue for
multihomed customers.

I think there are some other variations on the multihomed-customer theme
(e.g. multihomed to the same provider using different access networks)
that could be relevant here.

-- Rich