RE: [dhcwg] Questions about Invalid Option : I'd like clarification

"Bernie Volz \(volz\)" <volz@cisco.com> Tue, 06 March 2007 01:43 UTC

Subject: RE: [dhcwg] Questions about Invalid Option : I'd like clarification
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2007 20:43:44 -0500
From: "Bernie Volz (volz)" <volz@cisco.com>
To: Hideshi.Enokihara@jp.yokogawa.com, dhcwg@ietf.org
DKIM-Signature: v=0.5; a=rsa-sha256; q=dns/txt; l=7598; t=1173145425; x=1174009425; c=relaxed/simple; s=rtpdkim2001; h=Content-Type:From:Subject:Content-Transfer-Encoding:MIME-Version; d=cisco.com; i=volz@cisco.com; z=From:=20=22Bernie=20Volz=20\(volz\)=22=20<volz@cisco.com> |Subject:=20RE=3A=20[dhcwg]=20Questions=20about=20Invalid=20Option=20=3A= 20I'd=20like=20clarification=20 |Sender:=20 |To:=20<Hideshi.Enokihara@jp.yokogawa.com>,=20<dhcwg@ietf.org>; bh=RhXMPBe4rfWCmJ4rJPjBWPc4L4fzDFokUmly7uOPyZU=; b=GN4hKWzEUJdzMN6BA2JPUAiUefZh5VYZfik3p0A5VKYOAtGpp5ukP2XFXFWZZWxZ0hLW5LtY f/P62/+Dk/R/S3ybB2YQQqhI9DrdgM6MAKg7DA9RWu4dzEAO5OjoCAkj;

Hideshi:

On the surface, your rewording does seem a bit better ...

>   Clients and servers MUST discard any messages that contain options
>which appearance (or lack of appearance) is a clear violation of the
>DHCPv6 protocol.

But, I feel that it too may be misinterpreted. Is sending a
"information-type" option (i.e., DNS Servers) that an RFC says MUST NOT
be sent in a specific message a "clear violation of the DHCPv6
protocol"?

I'm thinking that we might just want to drop the first paragraph of
Section 15. And, perhaps the second paragraph's requirements be moved
into the corresponding subsections for the messages. This makes it
easier to find all the hard rules for each message.

- Bernie