[dhcwg] RE: IESG Discusses/Comments on draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-remoteid-00.txt

"Bernie Volz \(volz\)" <volz@cisco.com> Fri, 20 January 2006 21:33 UTC

Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 16:33:05 -0500
From: "Bernie Volz (volz)" <volz@cisco.com>
To: Sam Hartman <hartmans-ietf@mit.edu>
Cc: dhcwg@ietf.org, iesg@ietf.org
Subject: [dhcwg] RE: IESG Discusses/Comments on draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-remoteid-00.txt
Sender: dhcwg-bounces@ietf.org

Sam:

> Does this make sense?

No, it doesn't make sense.

The reference to caller id in the draft is:

   o  a "caller ID" telephone number for dial-up connection

The model for this is that the relay agent terminates dial-up
connections (from the PSTN). So, when a computer connected over that
dial-up connection makes a DHCP request, the relay agent (which captured
the caller id telephone number when the call was accepted), could add
the caller ID in the relayed DHCP request.

We assume we trust the relay agent because it is in the same
administrative domain as the server that will assign the address. If the
caller id information can't be trusted from the PSTN, then obviously
this should not be used to add identity information that might be used
by the DHCP server to provide addresses. (It might still be used by the
server and relay for other purposes, such as aiding the relay to return
the packet to the correct circuit; though the DHCPv6 interface-ID option
is a much better mechanism for that purpose.)

I'm not sure how VoIP enters into this picture? I'd assume that once the
connection is established and the addresses assigned via DHCP, perhaps
the connection is used to place VoIP calls. But I don't see how the VoIP
interaction ever supplies the caller-id used (perhaps people are placing
dial-up calls over VoIP connections?)

- Bernie