Re: [dhcwg] Proposal for experimental DHCP option

Stig Venaas <stig.venaas@uninett.no> Tue, 24 October 2006 21:01 UTC

Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 22:00:42 +0100
From: Stig Venaas <stig.venaas@uninett.no>
To: Eliot Lear <lear@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: [dhcwg] Proposal for experimental DHCP option
Cc: dhcwg@ietf.org

Eliot Lear wrote:
> Giuseppe,
>
>> What's wrong in receiving LDAP directory information while in Sun?
>
> Because (a) I might not be entitled to it and (b) I might only want the
> LDAP information I was previously getting for my own company or service,
> especially with certain mailers that entirely hide the email address and
> only list display names.  So put yourself in the place of an OS vendor.
> What should the default be?  To take the information or not?  If you
> take it perhaps something gets misdirected.  If you don't take it, then
> the administrator has to touch the device anyway for bootstrap, in which
> case the problem is different.
>
> On the other hand:
>
>> I'm in this situation, I'll provide as an example: I'm an admin of an
>> organization of 100.000 desktops plus 50.000 roaming laptops. How
>> should I configure automatically each laptop to find the closest ldap
>> replica, without forcing to query the LDAP of its country ?
>
> I am sympathetic to your point.  The reason I didn't recommend a
> different approach was because I don't know of one that exists that
> scales to the size of the Internet.

I'm not exactly sure what the scenario is, but the idea is that the
organisation has several sites around the world, a laptop is visiting
one of these sites and should use the organisations closest LDAP server?
I'm assuming it is at one of the sites, else I don't see how DHCP could
be used to tell you what LDAP server to use.

First thing that comes to my mind is to use SRV based on the laptop's
domain name unless configured otherwise. Assuming DNS responds the same
independent of where you are, I see two options.

One is as I mentioned, that you contact one of the replicas listed in
the SRV, and that it might give you an LDAP referral to a more
appropriate replica based on your address.

Another approach might be to use anycast. Have all the replicas share an
address (in addition to having unique addresses), and make sure that at
all locations, there is always exactly one that is the closest
(according to your routing).

Stig