Re: [dhcwg] Tentative agenda for dhc WG meeting at IETF 61

Daniel Park <soohong.park@samsung.com> Mon, 08 November 2004 00:55 UTC

Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2004 00:18:35 +0000
From: Daniel Park <soohong.park@samsung.com>
Subject: Re: [dhcwg] Tentative agenda for dhc WG meeting at IETF 61
To: Ralph Droms <rdroms@cisco.com>, soohong.park@samsung.com
Cc: "dhcwg@ietf.org " <dhcwg@ietf.org>
Sender: dhcwg-bounces@ietf.org

Just for clarifying on below discussion prior to presenting it.

Multicast Reconfig. Protocol for Stateless DHCPv6  Daniel Park      10 minutes
<draft-vijay-dhc-dhcpv6-mcast-reconf>
Technical discussion

This protocol is for providing reconfiguration in the stateless DHCPv6
domain when any configuration information is changed and initial version
was presented at Seoul meeting. This protocol uses a RA message to trigger
a client to initiate Renew/Reply or Information-Request/Reply by which
it can obtain the updated configuration information.

Regarding this protocol, I think we should make sure one related
draft which aims M and O flag of RA to be clarified and it was officially
accepted as IPv6 WG work item. This draft defines three DHCP policies
for each flag. For more detail understanding, please read below draft.
http://www.watersprings.org/pub/id/draft-daniel-ipv6-ra-mo-flags-01.txt

What I am trying to say is that this reconf protocol is only applied
to both O-Policy 1 and 2 not 3 since O-Policy 3 does not invoke
any configuration scheme regardless of flag change.

Moreover, initial version proposed a new ICMPv6 option to inform
the information change to the client, however it is just applied
for O-Policy 2. If O-Policy 1 is enabled, the client can invoke the
reconfiguration scheme regardless of change of flag or any
new option.

Now, I think it should be discussed during this meeting if this
protocol is of interest...

Please take a look at the M&O flag document and let me
know your comments and thoughts...

Thanks

Daniel (Soohong Daniel Park)
Mobile Platform Laboratory. SAMSUNG Electronics