Re: [dhcwg] question about duid in dhcpv6

Ted Lemon <Ted.Lemon@nominum.com> Tue, 06 October 2009 20:46 UTC

From: Ted Lemon <Ted.Lemon@nominum.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 2009 13:48:23 -0700
To: 肖飏 <xiaoyang007@gmail.com>
Cc: "dhcwg@ietf.org" <dhcwg@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [dhcwg] question about duid in dhcpv6

On Oct 2, 2009, at 9:03 AM, Фïr wrote:
> Considering such a scenario: server wants to send client a message
> with the Server Identifier Option preserving DUID field as a special
> address. When client receives the message, it will try to interpret
> DUID as an address for further processing, such as verification. I
> am confused because in the RFC 3315, it mentions that "Clients and
> servers MUST treat DUIDs as opaque values and MUST only compare
> DUIDs for equality. Clients and servers MUST NOT in any other way
> interpret DUIDs", so I want to ask you whether it violates the RFC
> 3315?

I do not know if I understood your question correctly.   It sounds
like you are asking if the client can check the server DUID against a
list of server DUIDs to see if the server that sent the message is
trusted.   Is that what you are asking?

If so, this should be okay, because you are following the RFC.
Checking DUIDs against a list is comparing for equality.

If you are asking a different question, could you rephrase the
question?   Perhaps describe precisely what you want to do with the
DUID?