[dhcwg] Fwd: [Geopriv] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-geopriv-dhcp-civil-08.txt

John Schnizlein <jschnizl@cisco.com> Thu, 29 December 2005 22:46 UTC

To: DHCP discussion list <dhcwg@ietf.org>
From: John Schnizlein <jschnizl@cisco.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 17:45:40 -0500
Cc: Henning Schulzrinne <hgs@cs.columbia.edu>
Subject: [dhcwg] Fwd: [Geopriv] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-geopriv-dhcp-civil-08.txt
Sender: dhcwg-bounces@ietf.org

A new version of geopriv-dhcp-civil was recently posted, which contains
the same text regarding restrictions on the use of the DHC protocol as
in -07, despite what appeared to be consensus to resolve this issue:
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/dhcwg/current/msg05641.html

    This document only defines the delivery of location information from
    the DHCP server to the client, due to security concerns related to
    using DHCP to update the database.  Within the GEOPRIV architecture
    as defined by RFC 3693 [11], the defined mechanism in this document
    for conveying initial location information is known as a "sighting"
    function.  Sighting functions are not required to have security
    capabilities and are only intended to be configured in trusted and
    controlled environments.  (A classic example of the sighting function
    is a Global Positioning System wired directly to a network node.)
    After initial location information has been introduced, it MUST be
    afforded the protections defined in RFC 3694 [12].  Therefore,
    location information MUST NOT be sent from a DHCP client to a DHCP
    server as is normally allowed by DHCP.

I hope this is simply an error, and will be fixed before the (next)
draft goes forward.

John

Begin forwarded message: