[dhcwg] draft-dhankins-dhcp-option-guidelines-00

"David W. Hankins" <David_Hankins@isc.org> Tue, 24 April 2007 23:48 UTC

Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 16:48:06 -0700
From: "David W. Hankins" <David_Hankins@isc.org>
To: dhcwg@ietf.org
Subject: [dhcwg] draft-dhankins-dhcp-option-guidelines-00

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-dhankins-dhcp-option-guidelines-00.txt

At IETF 67 (San Diego), I gave a presentation on an informative
document I called 'Atomic DHCP'.  This was, more or less, an
examination, and definition of terms of a DHCP software
implementation written by Ted Lemon ("ISC DHCP").  I mostly
intended to ultimately provide input for a document written by
someone far more clever than I that might explore the conclusions
of "how to write an adoptable option" more fully.

What I heard at that IETF was that the reasons we have for certain
advice to DHCP option draft writers is less important than the things
we might wish to tell them, and at least a couple of people thought
it might be a good idea for me to take a stab at such a document.

So as discussed, I've pared down (possibly by not enough, I see now
at least two paragraphs that should have gone) and moved the 'Atomic
DHCP' explanation to an appendix, and brought the "lessons learned"
from the old document into the forefront and completed them.

I'd still like to see other appendices for other implementations,
or if other implementations are willing to say that they understand
the definition to be sufficiently similar to their own, we could
generalize the language and make it non-ISC specific ("At least two
implementations solved this by...").

At this point, the document is essentially complete so far as I
know, which means that any good advice to draft writers you can
think of for any section of the document would be great feedback.