Re: [dhcwg] draft-forte-dhc-passive-dad-01

"Andrea G. Forte" <andreaf@cs.columbia.edu> Sun, 19 March 2006 02:54 UTC

Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 21:53:57 -0500
From: "Andrea G. Forte" <andreaf@cs.columbia.edu>
To: Greg Daley <gregd@research.panasonic.com>
Subject: Re: [dhcwg] draft-forte-dhc-passive-dad-01
Cc: dhcwg@ietf.org, sangho@cs.columbia.edu, Henning Schulzrinne <hgs@cs.columbia.edu>

Dear Greg,

first of all I want to thank you for the interesting comments.
I agree with what you say, however I am a little surprised by some of
your points as in the draft I clearly say "pDAD in its present form is
not intended
for supporting the stateless configuration mechanism of DHCPv6". This
means that I do not see pDAD as being applicable where Stateless Address
Allocation is used (mixed or not with Stateful Allocation).
Optimistic DAD most probably is the way to go for IPv6, however I do not
see any harm in suggesting that pDAD could also be used in IPv6 when
only Stateful Address Allocation is used. Furthermore, I think that the
information provided by the AUC could be useful for other things than
just DAD such as intrusion detection ... but this is another story, with
its own set of problems.
I want to look more in detail at Optimistic DAD and see if there are
some performance evaluations of real life deployments. Please let me
know if you or anyone else might have some pointers to it.

-Andrea