Re: [dhcwg] I-D Action:draft-ietf-dhc-80211-option-01.txt

"Bernie Volz (volz)" <volz@cisco.com> Mon, 06 September 2010 14:14 UTC

Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2010 09:14:30 -0500
From: "Bernie Volz (volz)" <volz@cisco.com>
To: Krzysztof Grochla <kgrochla@proximetry.pl>, Internet-Drafts@ietf.org, i-d-announce@ietf.org
Cc: dhcwg@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [dhcwg] I-D Action:draft-ietf-dhc-80211-option-01.txt

I believe you want to define this option for both DHCPv4 and DHCPv6?

But ...

1. The figure in section 2 is only valid for the DHCPv6 option. DHCPv4
options have a 1-octet (8-bit) option-code and option-length field, not
2-octet (16-bit) values. You should define each separately.

2. The option number cannot be shared between DHCPv4 and DHCPv6 - each
need their own option number.

The text in section 2 also should be clear that clients should request
this option in the (DHCPv4) Parameter Request List or (DHCPv6) Option
Request Option. This is the normal way the server knows which options to
return to the client (provided of course the option is configured in the
server).

Finally, some more about how this is supposed to work needs to be
documented. If the client is able to perform DHCP (which are IP/UDP
based communication) how does this SSID (i.e., hasn't the client already
found the SSID given that it is communicating)? Is the client expected
to change SSID once DHCP[v4/v6] is done and this value is provided? Is
this value being provided over a different interface for use with a
wireless interface? Or?

Perhaps those with detailed knowledge of 802.11 know how this
information is supposed to be used, but ...

Also, we've been using 802.11 networks for many years now without this.
So, why is this now needed?

Seems like you're also missing some basic references (such as to RFC
3315)?

- Bernie