RE: [dhcwg] WG last call on draft-ietf-dhc-mipadvert-opt-01.txt (SECOND REQUEST)

"Bernie Volz" <volz@metrocast.net> Thu, 30 October 2003 21:46 UTC

From: Bernie Volz <volz@metrocast.net>
To: 'Ted Lemon' <mellon@nominum.com>, dhcwg@ietf.org
Subject: RE: [dhcwg] WG last call on draft-ietf-dhc-mipadvert-opt-01.txt (SECOND REQUEST)
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 16:45:29 -0500
Sender: dhcwg-admin@ietf.org

Are you afraid we might break some implementations if a zero length option
is sent to them? Does the ISC DHCP Server process zero-length options
correctly or does it consider these to be malformed (even if it otherwise
would ignore that option)?

RFC 2132 specially allows zero-length options (see section 2):

   Any options defined subsequent to this document MUST contain a length
   octet even if the length is fixed or zero.

If you really think the prohibition is needed, shouldn't it be included in
the draft-ietf-dhc-implementation-xx.txt work?

Note that the document that started all this (the mipadvert-opt one) is
really about suboptions and not options, so RFC 2132 and the compatibility
issue likely do not apply (since any implementation supporting the mipadvert
option could be explicitly designed to support zero length suboptions). But,
working this out for options is important since I'd like to use a zero
length option for the Rapid Reply option.

- Bernie