[dhcwg] Re: draft-ietf-dhc-agentoptions-device-class-02.txt

Rich Woundy <rwoundy@cisco.com> Fri, 09 November 2001 03:00 UTC

Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2001 21:50:18 -0500
To: Thomas Narten <narten@us.ibm.com>
From: Rich Woundy <rwoundy@cisco.com>
Cc: dhcwg@ietf.org, doug@yas.com
Subject: [dhcwg] Re: draft-ietf-dhc-agentoptions-device-class-02.txt
Sender: dhcwg-admin@ietf.org

Thomas,

If the changes to draft-ietf-dhc-agentoptions-device-class-03.txt (as
incorporated in the attachment, version -04) are acceptable, I will submit
a new draft for IESG approval ASAP.

First, I changed the title to "The DOCSIS Device Class DHCP Relay Agent
Information Sub-option", in the spirit of your second recommendation below
(to narrow the language). I added some slight emphasis in the rest of the
text as well, e.g. the title of section 2 has changed from "Device Class
Sub-option" to "DOCSIS Device Class Sub-option", and the term "device class
sub-option" has been augmented several times to "DOCSIS Device Class
sub-option".

I believe this is the correct approach given (a) the DOCSIS cable
orientation of the current draft, (b) the apparent lack of interest in
expanding the sub-option to other access technologies (note that this
sub-option required some new DOCSIS signaling to be effective), and (c) the
likely abundance of sub-option values for the relay agent information
option, e.g. only two other sub-option drafts have been submitted, which
brings the number of publicly discussed sub-option values to 6 out of a
possible 255 values.

Second, I made reference to the security considerations of RFC 3046 as
suggested: "The discussion of security considerations for the DHCP relay
agent information option [1] apply to this sub-option as well.".

Third, I made a few independent draft fixes: correcting "signalling" to
"signaling", updating my contact information, and changing dates/version of
the draft.

-- Rich