Re: [ntpwg] [dhcwg] DNSSEC in names vs. numbers for NTP server information in DHCP

"TS Glassey" <tglassey@earthlink.net> Thu, 29 November 2007 16:02 UTC

From: TS Glassey <tglassey@earthlink.net>
To: Danny Mayer <mayer@ntp.org>, shane_kerr@isc.org
Subject: Re: [ntpwg] [dhcwg] DNSSEC in names vs. numbers for NTP server information in DHCP
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 07:56:04 -0800
Cc: ntpwg@lists.ntp.org, dhcwg@ietf.org

Shane/Danny
As another possible solution here, let me ask, would it make sense to also
setup a default Multicast type configuration for use in sites that support
pre-host registration*** through DHCP... It seems like as setting  the DHCP
server itself could be peered with the NTP Server they represent, and as
such it itself could serve a dual role, not per se setting open-client
requests through NTP but through the DHCP listener.

If the intent is to provide an unsecured time source for calibrating the
operating clocks of un-plumbed hosts, then perhaps a multicast type
deployment would work through DHCP for this. Also DHCP could easily be setup
to do a two layer process, wherein it presets the client to a 'rudimentary'
state where it could communicate with an authentication server to qualify
and permit its entrance into a network.

FWIW - I have an updated I-D for DHCP which adds this two layer process, and
the security model it produces is pretty strong. If anyone is interested
drop me a note offlist and I will send it to you.

Todd Glassey