Re: [dhcwg] extending the DHCPv4 option space, VSO usage -- was: Re: issues with draft-grochla-80211-dhcp-option-00

Alfred Hönes <ah@TR-Sys.de> Fri, 24 September 2010 13:35 UTC

From: Alfred Hönes <ah@TR-Sys.de>
To: gwz@net-zen.net
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 15:33:20 +0200
Cc: dhcwg@ietf.org, Ted.Lemon@nominum.com
Subject: Re: [dhcwg] extending the DHCPv4 option space, VSO usage -- was: Re: issues with draft-grochla-80211-dhcp-option-00

At Fri, 24 Sep 2010 08:11:39 +0700, Glen Zorn wrote:
> Ted Lemon [mailto://Ted.Lemon@nominum.com] writes:

>> ...I still think that this sort of option isn't what vendor options
>> are for-- my understanding of vendor options is that they're for
>> vendors--e.g., Cisco, not IEEE.
>
> Maybe.  However, that makes the DHCP usage of the vendor-specific
> construct considerably more limited than other IETF protocols (e.g.
> RADIUS & Diameter (in which even the IETF is considered a "vendor",
> assigned the vendor-id of 0)).

That's also my understanding.  My expectation/desire is to have
similar treatment of this question in affected IETF protocols.
Please note that, in turn, the IEEE has assigned an OUI to the IETF
(e.g. for use in 802 SNAP headers).  So why shouldn't "we" behave
reciprocally for the IETF/IANA managed comparable namespace?
[ And I agree with Donald that the IEEE term is much better,
  "organization" should be the keyword, not "vendor". ]

Looking at the so-called "Vendor ID" registry, which actually is the
IANA registry of "Enterprise IDs", you'll find there the names of
a lot of organizations that are not vendors/producers of some kind
of equipment but service providers of different kind, universities,
research institutes, federal administration branches, counties,
cities, publishers, banks, assurance companies, etc.

Regarding Ted's previous comments on the difficulty in establishing
a uniform [sub-]option request format for vendor options, it should
be recalled that both the original (#63) and the enhanced (#125)
DHCPv4 vendor information option specifications strongly recommend
a uniform format for sub-options.  This could be used as a base
for follow-up work, restricting the scope to that format, and thus
avoiding complications and discussions.

Kind regards,
  Alfred Hönes.

--

| TR-Sys Alfred Hoenes   |  Alfred Hoenes   Dipl.-Math., Dipl.-Phys.  |