RE: [dhcwg] Response to IESG comments on draft-ietf-dhc-isnsoptio n-08.txt

Black_David@emc.com Sat, 06 September 2003 10:51 UTC

From: Black_David@emc.com
To: cmonia@NishanSystems.com, ElizabethRodriguez@ieee.org, rdroms@cisco.com, smb@research.att.com
Cc: narten@us.ibm.com, dhcwg@ietf.org, ips@ece.cmu.edu, Black_David@emc.com, mankin@isi.edu, jtseng@NishanSystems.com, kgibbons@NishanSystems.com
Subject: RE: [dhcwg] Response to IESG comments on draft-ietf-dhc-isnsoptio n-08.txt
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2003 17:25:29 -0400
Sender: dhcwg-admin@ietf.org

At the risk of complicating this further, I don't think "RECOMMENDED"
is going to be the right solution, as "cannot obtain an implementation"
does not strike me as a "valid reason in particular circumstances"
(cf. RFC 2119) to ignore a "RECOMMENDED" requirement statement.

I think the right thing to do here is to address Ralph's concern directly
rather than trying to craft language that avoids it.  In other words,
discuss the usefulness of DHCP Authentication, but point out that it is
not widely implemented, recommend its use  when available (lower case
"recommended"), and discuss alternative measures that can prevent contact
with a rogue iSNS server (e.g., in addition to not using the iSNS DHCP
option, IPsec can provide countermeasures based on setting policy for
traffic to the TCP port used by iSNS, but one has to have local policy
override the IPsec on/off setting in the iSNS DHCP option).

Thanks,
--David
David L. Black, Senior Technologist
+1 (508) 293-7953             FAX: +1 (508) 293-7786
black_david@emc.com        Mobile: +1 (978) 394-7754

> Hi:

> section is proposed.  Please let me know if this is satisfactory.

> Security:
>
> Security considerations pertinent to DHCP are described in [RFC3118].
Among