RE: [dhcwg] Temporary addresses

"Bernie Volz (EUD)" <Bernie.Volz@am1.ericsson.se> Sat, 15 June 2002 17:44 UTC

From: "Bernie Volz (EUD)" <Bernie.Volz@am1.ericsson.se>
To: "'vijayak@india.hp.com'" <vijayak@india.hp.com>, dhcwg@ietf.org
Subject: RE: [dhcwg] Temporary addresses
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2002 12:41:43 -0500
Sender: dhcwg-admin@ietf.org

Vijay:

Correct - we don't have T1/T2 times for IA_TA. It is the clients choice as to when (and
if) to renew these. I would think it would following a policy similar to that specified
in RFC 3041 (to extend the preferred and/or valid lifetime). Essentially, the client
should start the renewal process early enough to continue using the address.

I don't think the DHCP server needs to follow the procedures of RFC 3041 in generating
temporary addresses. The DHCP server may not even have the client's link-local address
(interface identifier).

>Probabably, we can add some text to state that once a temporary
>address is released or lifetime expires, the server should
>forget the bindings, unlike the normal addresses.

For temporary addresses, there is good reason for the server to forget them as ever
being associated with a client after the valid lifetime expires (or it is released).
However, this may also be the case for normal addresses. For normal addresses, this
is really a server policy issue and up to the server (or administrator of the server
if configuration of this is allowed).

- Bernie