Re: [dhcwg] I-D Action: draft-ietf-dhc-forcerenew-nonce-03.txt

Maglione Roberta <roberta.maglione@telecomitalia.it> Tue, 14 February 2012 10:00 UTC

From: Maglione Roberta <roberta.maglione@telecomitalia.it>
To: 'Matthew Ryan' <Matt.Ryan@nominum.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 11:00:18 +0100
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "Wojciech Dec (wdec)" <wdec@cisco.com>, "'James.Bristow@swisscom.com'" <James.Bristow@swisscom.com>, 'Ted Lemon' <Ted.Lemon@nominum.com>, dhc WG <dhcwg@ietf.org>, 'Menachem Dodge' <Menachem.Dodge@ecitele.com>
Subject: Re: [dhcwg] I-D Action: draft-ietf-dhc-forcerenew-nonce-03.txt

Please see answers inline.
Thanks,
Roberta

-----Original Message-----
From: Matthew Ryan [mailto:Matt.Ryan@nominum.com]
Sent: lunedì 13 febbraio 2012 19.57
To: Maglione Roberta
Cc: 'Menachem Dodge'; dhc WG; Wojciech Dec (wdec); 'James.Bristow@swisscom.com'; Ullio Mario; 'Ted Lemon'; 'Henderickx, Wim (Wim)'

Minor item: The 'imbedded' typo in section 3.1.3 is still present.
[RM] sorry about that I'll correct the typo

While reviewing this, I noticed something I had missed before.
Section 3.1.4 indicates:
    If the server has indicated capability for Forcerenew Nonce
    Protocol authentication in the DHCP Offer and a subsequent Ack
    omits a valid DHCP authentication option for the Forcerenew Nonce
    Protocol, the client MUST send a DHCP Decline message and return
    to the DHCP Init state.

    The client MUST record the Forcerenew Nonce from any valid ACK it
    receives, if the ACK contains one.

There are two problems here.
[...]

This is in-line
with RFC-3315 (DHCPv6) behavior.  Perhaps someone who is more familiar
with the intent of RFC-3118 could confirm or deny that interpretation?

Assuming my read of RFC-3118 is correct, I would suggest the following
replacement text which should resolve both of those issues:

    If the server has indicated capability for Forcerenew Nonce
    Protocol authentication in the DHCP OFFER and the subsequent ACK
    received by the client while in the SELECTING state omits a valid
    DHCP authentication option for the Forcerenew Nonce Protocol, the
    client MUST discard the message and return to the INIT state.

    The client MUST record the Forcerenew Nonce from any valid ACK it
    receives, if the ACK contains one.

[RM] ok, I modify the text based on your proposal.

Roberta

 - Matt