[dhcwg] draft-narten-iana-experimental-allocations-03.txt (was Re: [dhcwg ] draft-ietf-dhc-packetcable-04.txt)

"Woundy, Richard" <Richard_Woundy@cable.comcast.com> Mon, 23 December 2002 16:43 UTC

From: "Woundy, Richard" <Richard_Woundy@cable.comcast.com>
To: 'Thomas Narten' <narten@us.ibm.com>
cc: Paul Duffy <paduffy@cisco.com>, dhcwg@ietf.org
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 09:42:28 -0700
Subject: [dhcwg] draft-narten-iana-experimental-allocations-03.txt (was Re: [dhcwg ] draft-ietf-dhc-packetcable-04.txt)
Sender: dhcwg-admin@ietf.org

Thomas,

These comments are really about your draft
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-narten-iana-experimental-allocati
ons-03.txt>.

I thought you were advocating the allocation of a few CCC sub-options for
experimentation, not the use of the standard DHCP experimental option space
-- which explains this exchange of comments between us:

>> Quite frankly, I think Paul could just as easily steal a DHCP option
>> code in the 128-254 space for such experimentation.
>
> And would that not be an acceptable solution? I *really* would like to
> understand what the underlying requirement is here. I still feel like
> perhaps I don't.

So the advice from your draft is to use DHCP experimental options 128-254,
and not set aside space for experimental CCC suboptions, right?

Now let me consider this exchange:

>> This comment from the draft could be especially tricky for a headless
>> PacketCable brick: "anyone making use of an experimental number should
>> require the user or customer to explicitly configure the value prior to
>> enabling its usage".
>
>Experimental use numbers are not at all intended for mass deployments
>or home users to configure their cable modems. If you are shipping
>modems to home users, you are really not experimenting anymore; you
>are deploying.

I don't think you're seeing my real point about headless devices and DHCP
option experimentation. Let's disregard cable for this discussion. How does
one "explicitly configure the value" on a device without a user interface
(i.e. a brick)? Perhaps some devices will obtain an IPv4 link-local address
for its testing-accessible interface, and then the device can be configured
using an internal web server or SNMP agent -- but that's the ideal (I
think). It is perhaps more likely that the only way that the device will
know about any DHCP experimental options is if the device has downloaded
firmware that understands the option(s). Shouldn't the draft consider this
possibility?

There's something else that I don't understand: why do you use the term
"customers" in your draft? Apparently according to your comments, this term
does not apply to broadband Internet customers (cable or otherwise). Then
what kinds of customers are "safe"? Why would any "customer" be willing to
stop such an experiment, if the experiment helped them resolve some problem
or added a feature?

-- Rich