[Diffserv-interest] FW: [Tsvwg] draft-ietf-tsvwg-diffserv-service-classes-01 WGLC

Black_David@emc.com Wed, 09 November 2005 17:15 UTC

From: Black_David@emc.com
To: diffserv-interest@ietf.org
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2005 12:12:43 -0500
Subject: [Diffserv-interest] FW: [Tsvwg] draft-ietf-tsvwg-diffserv-service-classes-01 WGLC
Sender: diffserv-interest-bounces@ietf.org

-----Original Message-----
From: Black, David
Sent: Tuesday, November 08, 2005 3:43 PM
To: nichols@pollere.com; tsvwg@ietf.org
Cc: dcpel@ietf.org; diffserv-interest-request@ietf.org

Kathie,

Pulling out selected portions of your email to comment on your issues ...

> My concerns with this document haven't changed much from the comments I
> had for the authors on the original version. My major concern is that
> this draft rewrites many concepts that were crafted by consensus over
> several years in the DiffServ WG and are currently in use.
> Certainly, concepts and standards have to be revisited from time to
> time, but this draft is not being explicit about it. At the very least,
> this should be made clear both in the document and by the ADs,
> particularly since some of it is at odds with RFC2474, a standards
> track document.

That certainly was not the draft's intent.  To the extent that the draft
is at odds with RFC 2474 and 2475, I suspect the problems can be cleaned
up with suitably careful selection of terminology and a suitably
detailed editing pass. (NB: I'm a co-author of RFC 2474 and 2475).

> Concern 1: This draft ties "service class" to applications and to
> specific PHBs in all networks.

> This links *applications* to requirements for specific delay, loss
> and jitter characteristic which is counter to the internet history
> of building applications that adapt to network conditions. The point
> of DiffServ was to provide tools to make it possible to differentiate
> traffic on whatever basis an operator desired, to
> not require that inner workings of a network be exposed,
> and not to require a particular PHB. If an operator can deliver certain
> specified treatments (in SLSs) to traffic across its network, it was
> considered its business what PHB and edge treatments were used.

> Again DiffServ was explicit about the decoupling of services and
> applications.

This draft's coupling of network services to applications is deliberate
and is much of the value of the draft.  Diffserv has always been viewed
as a toolkit - it has the equivalent of band saws, planers, drill presses,
etc.  In the hands of an expert, there's no limit to what can be built,
but it's intimidating to the point of inaccessible to a novice who just
wants to build a table and chairs.  Think of this draft as a set of
"project plans" for building all the furniture that a house might need.
The user may choose what to build (e.g., maybe our example novice doesn't
need a china cabinet right now).  This is one of the reasons that it's
deliberately *not* going standards track - Best Current Practice was
one possible alternative to Informational.

> Concern 2: The definition of Service Class and its relationship to
> traffic aggregates.

I think this is mostly sloppy terminology.  The focus of the draft is
(and should be) the traffic aggregates around which the core of the
network/diffserv domain needs to be designed.  The draft definitely
needs to allow the situation in which aggregates are exploded into flows
at the network edges and flows may "switch" aggregates when passing
between networks (e.g., I'm a customer of network A, so my video
download gets gold treatment from that operator, but network B
carries it as best effort).  To the extent that it forbids this sort
of thing, the draft needs to be corrected to point out that if the
behavior changes across domains, it's harder to be sure that the
result is consistent QoS ...

> Concern 3: draft seems to equate requiring a uniform PHB with achieving
> an end-to-end QoS.

The draft shouldn't "equate" - to the extent it does, it needs editing.
What the draft is trying to do is describe one approach to building
end-to-end QoS, namely use the same PHB (and hence PDB) uniformly
across the networks (diffserv domains) involved.  See the above
"project plans" analogy - such a set of plans are not the only way
to build furniture (e.g., plans for a novice probably won't use
mortise/tenon construction).

> Finally, the draft specifies a lot of operational rules for
> networks. This is inverted from the DiffServ WG approach of putting
> tools into the hands of operators.

The "project plans" comment applies to this also.

I think this draft is an important complement to the existing body
of diffserv work and needs to be published as an RFC.

Thanks,
--David
David L. Black, Senior Technologist
+1 (508) 293-7953             FAX: +1 (508) 293-7786
black_david@emc.com        Mobile: +1 (978) 394-7754