Re: RE: [Diffserv-interest] How to use AF PHB?

Le Chunhui <lechunhui@263.net> Thu, 28 March 2002 09:07 UTC

Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 17:07:18 +0800
From: Le Chunhui <lechunhui@263.net>
To: "Michael E.Flannagan" <mflannag@cisco.com>
Cc: Diffserv-interest <Diffserv-interest@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: RE: [Diffserv-interest] How to use AF PHB?
Sender: diffserv-interest-admin@ietf.org

Hi,Michael E. Flannagan!
   Thank you very much for your explanation. However, I'm still not quite clear about some questions. I think some CBR applications, such as audio is fit for EF PHB. But how about VBR realtime applications, such as video or large static images, for instance, pictures compressed via JPEG 2000? Those applications can adapt their quality image and amount of data according to the state of the network, and only relative small bit rates are required to ensured. Is AF more fit for them than EF? A new PHB, delay bounded PHB, is proposed in the newly passed RFC 3248, will it be even more fit for those VBR?
   Thanks a lot in advance!

>EF PHB should be used for real time UDP traffic.  AF PHB is used to
>deliver multiple levels of drop preference, which corresponds to the {1
>or 2}-rate 3-color marker.  Example:  Traffic of a given type from 0-1Mb
>gets marked AF11, 1-2Mb gets marked AF12, Above 2Mb gets marked AF13.
>Per the RFC, if you then enable a WRED mechanism on an egress interface
>(assuming that mechanism is DiffServ compliant), AF13 traffic will be
>dropped with a probability greater than (or equal to) AF12, which will in
>turn be dropped with a probability greater than (or equal to) AF11.
>
>The accomplishes the task of dropping "out of profile" packets with a
>higher probablity than "in profile" packets, and adds the benefit of
>never re-ordering packets within the entire AF1x class.
>

>Hope that helps,
>
>Mike Flannagan, CCIE #7651
>Network Consulting Engineer
>Cisco Systems, Inc.