RE: [Diffserv] problems with Virtual Wire and RFC2598

ROBERTS James FTRD/DAC/ISS <james.roberts@rd.francetelecom.fr> Tue, 28 March 2000 13:52 UTC

From: ROBERTS James FTRD/DAC/ISS <james.roberts@rd.francetelecom.fr>
To: Jean-Yves Le Boudec <leboudec@epfl.ch>, 'Kathleen Nichols' <kmn@cisco.com>
Cc: diffserv@ietf.org
Subject: RE: [Diffserv] problems with Virtual Wire and RFC2598
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 15:18:29 +0200
Sender: diffserv-admin@ietf.org

I share Jean-Yves' doubts. One specific problem is the condition applied in
the draft to explain why an EF packet cannot wait behind another packet from
the same customer.

It is stated that the EF property ensures that a customer EF stream of rate
R is served at rate R, averaged over any time scale of S/R or longer. In
fact, the EF property in question in RFC 2598 applies to the configured rate
for the EF traffic aggregate.

To say each customer stream is served at its nominal rate in any interval as
short as its interpacket interval seems to imply synchronous switching: the
period must be conserved exactly.

Applying the EF property as in RFC 2598 (ie, for the aggregate) does not
keep all the packets of one stream in their jitter window in the following
case.
One stream of rate R is aggregated with m streams of rate r<<R. The
aggregate is served at rate X > R+mr. Assume constant packet size. Suppose
all the little streams generate one packet just before a packet arrives from
the big stream so that the latter is delayed by m packet slots. It is
sufficient that m/X >1/R for the succeeding big stream packet to catch up
and be delayed by its predecessor. The delay is proportional to m and can be
made as big as we like by choosing r sufficiently small.

Jim