RE: [Diffserv] 802.1D user_priority

Andrew Smith <andrew@extremenetworks.com> Wed, 14 June 2000 18:58 UTC

From: Andrew Smith <andrew@extremenetworks.com>
To: 'Gina DePlanche' <gmd@nxnetworks.com>
Cc: "issll (E-mail)" <issll@mercury.lcs.mit.edu>, diffserv@ietf.org, "'P802.1'" <p8021@hepnrc.hep.net>
Subject: RE: [Diffserv] 802.1D user_priority
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 11:10:43 -0700
Sender: diffserv-admin@ietf.org

Gina,

We've talked a bit, both in the IETF's ISSLL working group and also offline,
about a standard (or maybe a best-current-practices) document to define such
a mapping. No official work items or proposals as yet though. There has been
work on mapping Intserv to Diffserv
(http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-issll-ds-map-00.txt) and on
mapping Intserv to 802.1D (http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2815.txt): it is
possible that there is some synergy there.

You (and others) may also be interested in a MIB draft that I just submitted
(see enclosed anouncement) which proposes how to use the Diffserv MIB
(http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-diffserv-mib-03.txt) to
manage Diffserv-like QoS mechanisms in a layer-2 bridge. This provides a
mechanism for configuring such mappings as you describe although it does not
address the issues of standardised or default mappings or how you might
decide what such mappings ought to be.

Andrew

Andrew Smith                              tel: +1 (408) 579-2821
Extreme Networks                          fax: +1 (408) 579-3000
3585 Monroe St.                   http://www.extremenetworks.com
Santa Clara CA 95051-1450        em:  andrew@extremenetworks.com

--- Begin Message ---
directories.

	Title		: Management Information Base for QoS Extensions for
                          Bridges based on the Differentiated Services
                          Architecture
	Author(s)	: A. Smith
	Filename	: draft-smith-bridge-qosmib-00.txt
	Pages		: 19
	Date		: 12-Jun-00

This memo describes a SMIv2 MIB module for a device implementing
bridging functions with Quality-of-Service mechanisms similar to those
described for the Differentiated Services Architecture [DSARCH] which
are described in detail by the Differentiated Services Router Conceptual
Model [MODEL].  A MIB module for routers, the Diffserv MIB [DSMIB], has
been developed that uses this model. The MIB module defined in this memo
is designed to work in conjunction with that module: it defines usage
for objects in that module and defines some new objects specific to MAC-
layer bridges (a.k.a. Layer-2 switches). Specifically, if defines
layer-2 classifier and packet marking functionality.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-smith-bridge-qosmib-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-smith-bridge-qosmib-00.txt".

http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html

Send a message to:
	mailserv@ietf.org.
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-smith-bridge-qosmib-00.txt".

NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	how to manipulate these messages.

Internet-Draft.

--- Begin Message ---

          --- End Message ---