Re: [Dime] [HOKEY] DiME ERP: new Application ID or not ?(non-roaming case)

Qin Wu <sunseawq@huawei.com> Thu, 12 March 2009 07:51 UTC

Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 15:51:49 +0800
From: Qin Wu <sunseawq@huawei.com>
To: Hannes Tschofenig <Hannes.Tschofenig@gmx.net>, 'Glen Zorn' <glenzorn@comcast.net>, 'Julien Bournelle' <julien.bournelle@gmail.com>
Cc: dime@ietf.org, hokey@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Dime] [HOKEY] DiME ERP: new Application ID or not ?(non-roaming case)

Hi:
I am glad to see the further work associated with RFC5296 has been developed well in the Diameter working group.
As regarding whether to define a new Diameter application for ERP,  I would like to ask a question first:
As we know, the normal authentication is quite different from Re-authentication. Re-authentication is usually applicable for the inter-authenticator handover scenarios. However, leave the inter-authenticator handover scenarios aside, when the existing keying materials are expired on the serving authenticator associated with the peer, which authentication mechanisms will be used to renew the lifetime of existing keying materials, normal authentication or Re-authentication?
If the answer is both, how to distinguish between them?
If the answer is normal authentication, I would like to support defining new Diameter application for ERP.

Best Regards!

-Qin