Re: [Dime] draft-ietf-dime-rfc3588bis review (2/3)

Victor Fajardo <vfajardo@tari.toshiba.com> Sun, 02 November 2008 16:16 UTC

Date: Sun, 02 Nov 2008 11:15:30 -0500
From: Victor Fajardo <vfajardo@tari.toshiba.com>
To: Hannes Tschofenig <Hannes.Tschofenig@gmx.net>
Cc: dime@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Dime] draft-ietf-dime-rfc3588bis review (2/3)
Sender: dime-bounces@ietf.org

Hi Hannes

As with the 1st part of the review, editorial are ok. Other comments
inline. Changes are incorporated in draft-*13.txt:

> Here is the 2nd part of my review:
>
> 9.2.  Protocol Messages
>
>    A Diameter node that receives a successful authentication and/or
>    authorization messages from the Home AAA server MUST collect
>    accounting information for the session.
>
> s/Home AAA server/Diameter server
>
> I wonder why there is this MUST statement here. Why is there MUST
> regarding the
> collection of accounting information.

I'm guessing this is historical remnants that is no longer valid in the
way we use Diameter today. We should relax this to a SHOULD.

>    Each Diameter Accounting protocol message MAY be compressed, in order
>    to reduce network bandwidth usage.  If TLS is used to secure the
>    Diameter session, then TLS compression [RFC4346] MAY be used.
>
> I wonder why this compression aspect is mentioned as there is nothing in
> Diameter itself
> to provide this compression. Compression is provided by TLS for all
> Diameter
> messages.

Ok. I suggest we remove it as it does not add value in anyway.

> 9.3.  Accounting Application Extension and Requirements
>
>    Each Diameter application (e.g., NASREQ, MobileIP), MUST define their
>    Service-Specific AVPs that MUST be present in the Accounting-Request
>    message in a section entitled "Accounting AVPs".
>
> I wonder why this is a MUST requirement.

Probably the same reason as above. Lets relax to a SHOULD.

>  9.6.  Correlation of Accounting Records
>
>    The Diameter protocol's Session-Id AVP, which is globally unique (see
>    Section 8.8), is used during the authorization phase to identify a
>    particular session.
>

>    Services that do not require any authorization
>    still use the Session-Id AVP to identify sessions.
>

> Why is the authorization exchange mentioned here explicitly. Session-IDs
> are used
> throught Diameter and there is nothing specifial about the authorization
> phase.

Same as above. It seems like 9.6 is binding accounting specifically to
authz only. We should re-phrase the 1st paragraph to:

        "If an application uses accounting messages, it can correlate
accounting
         records with a specific application session by using the
Session-Id of the
         particular application session in the accounting messages.
Accounting
         messages MAY also use a different Session-Id from that of the
application
         sessions in which case other session related information is
needed to
         perform correlation."

>    Accounting
>    messages MAY use a different Session-Id from that sent in
>    authorization messages.  Specific applications MAY require different
>    a Session-ID for accounting messages.
>
> These two sentences essentially say the same thing. Maybe it would be
> useful to say
>  when the session ID is different.

See above.

>    However, there are certain applications that require multiple
>    accounting sub-sessions.  Such applications would send messages with
>    a constant Session-Id AVP, but a different Accounting-Sub-Session-Id
>    AVP.  In these cases, correlation is performed using the Session-Id.
>
> The last sentence essentially says what the sentence said previously.
>
>    It is important to note that receiving a STOP_RECORD with no
>    Accounting-Sub-Session-Id AVP when sub-sessions were originally used
>    in the START_RECORD messages implies that all sub-sessions are
>    terminated.

Let's re-phrase this entire paragraph with:

        "In cases where an application requires multiple accounting
sub-session,
         an Accounting-Sub-Session-Id AVP is used to differentiate each
sub-session.
         The Session-Id would remain constant for all sub-sessions and
is be used
         to correlate all sub-sessions to a particular application
session.</t>
         Note that receiving a STOP_RECORD with no
Accounting-Sub-Session-Id AVP
         when sub-sessions were originally used in the START_RECORD messages
         implies that all sub-sessions are terminated."

>    Furthermore, there are certain applications where a user receives
>    service from different access devices (e.g., Mobile IPv4), each with
>    their own unique Session-Id.
>
> I am not sure is meant with the Mobile IPv4 example here.
> Is this referring to the case that a user might, as part of their
> service usage,
> trigger multiple Diameter exchanges from different Diameter clients,
> such as from
> the NAS and also from an application server?
>
>    In such cases, the Acct-Multi-Session-
>    Id AVP is used for correlation.
>
> I would move this sentence after the subsequent paragraph.
>
>    During authorization, a server that
>    determines that a request is for an existing session SHOULD include
>    the Acct-Multi-Session-Id AVP, which the access device MUST include
>    in all subsequent accounting messages.

How about re-phrasing the whole paragraph to:

        "There are also cases where an application needs to correlate
multiple
         application sessions into a single accounting record; the
accounting record
         may span multiple different Diameter applications and sessions
used by
         the same user at a given time. In such cases, the
Acct-Multi-Session-
         Id AVP is used. The Acct-Multi-Session-Id AVP SHOULD be
signalled by the
         server to the access device (typically during authorization)
when it
         determines that a request belongs to an existing session. The
access device
         MUST then include the Acct-Multi-Session-Id AVP in all subsequent
         accounting messages."

> 10.1.  Base Protocol Command AVP Table
>

> There are a couple of AVPs in the table that do not appear in any command.
> I wonder whether it makes sense to actually list them in the table at all.
> Instead, one could argue that they are rather defined in this document
> since
> they are of general usage for applications.

I'm not sure how we can represent these dangling AVPs. Maybe a separate
list for them ?

regards,
victor