Re: [Dime] Diameter extension for PMIPv6 localized routing

Marco Liebsch <marco.liebsch@neclab.eu> Mon, 27 June 2011 12:45 UTC

Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 14:19:30 +0200
From: Marco Liebsch <marco.liebsch@neclab.eu>
To: Qin Wu <sunseawq@huawei.com>
Cc: dime@ietf.org, cjbc@it.uc3m.es
Subject: Re: [Dime] Diameter extension for PMIPv6 localized routing

Hi Qin,

please find a few minor comments inline.

Am 23.06.2011 09:48, schrieb Qin Wu:
> Hi, Carlos
> Thank for your valuable comments, please see my reply belows.
>
> Regards!
> -Qin

Good point and text may be more precise about this. The Diameter server
authorizes
LR for each MN, as the result depends on the MN's profile and the
operator's policy.
Capability of MAGs to support LR (local flag EnableMAGLocalRouting) and
enforcement of LR according to RFC5213 is solely up to PMIPv6.

>> Besides, from a conceptual
>> viewpoint, do we need authorization for LR for a given pair of MNs or
>> for a given pair of MAGs?
> [Qin]: Yes, we need authorization for LR for a given pair of MNs.
> becos if LR is not allowed between MNs, it does not make sense for the server
> to resolve LMA2 based on MN2 and return LMA2 address which will be used to
> address A22.
Authorization does not include a decision if it's useful to set up a
localized
path. Its result is positive simply when MN1 is allowed to use localized
routing
and the same applies to MNs. For this decision, IMHO, the result does not
depend on the tuple MN1 and MN2, but on each MN's authorization result.
Maybe a minor detail..

> Another reason is Localized routing is per MN based capability, only when both
> MN1 and MN2 support localized routing capability, then LR path between MAG1
> and MAG2 can be allowed to setup.
no support or particular capability on MN1 and MN2 is needed for
localized routing.
Only authorization to set up localized routing for MN1 and for MN2 is
needed.

>   This capability should also get aligned with
> LOCAL_MAG_ROUTING_SUPPORTED capability defined in RFC5779.
I think this flag is solely a static flag on each MAG, which is
administratively set per
MAG and not per MN. Authorization of LR for an MN depends on its profile
and the
operator's decision to establish LR for a particular MN. This is in line
with RFC6279.

>> - In Figures 2 and 3, the LR signaling on the LMA2/MAG2 side is not
>> shown (but only on LMA1/MAG1). I think it'd help to show the whole
>> picture.
> [Qin]: We simplify the figure 2 and 3 by cutting off LR signaling since
> we got the comments on the list in the past that this document should
> focus how Diameter AAA is used for LR rather than LR signaling.
>
> On the other hand, the detailed signaling on the LMA2/MAG2 is
> described in Figure 5, which is not necessary to be repeated in
> each figure. Combine these figure, you can  see the whole picture.
>   Hope it clarifies.
Not sure why Fig 5 shows details at all whereas the others do not. Anyway,
if the draft includes such details, it should be noted that this is
exemplary for
explanation and, even more important, the meaning of a message must be
described. The message LRI is not expanded in the text and should be
added with a note that this belongs to the initial pahse of LR setup.

>> - Page 7: "the data packet from MN1 to MN2 and requesting" -->   I think
>> is the other way around (to be also consistant with Figure 3): "the data
>> packet from MN2 to MN1 and requesting"
> [Qin]: Corret.
Also here it may make sense to point to the exemplary nature of the sequence
chart, as it depends on where localized routing is detected and initiated.
So far it has been considered that the source MN's PMIP components
(MAG or LMA) detect and initiate LR. But for explanation in the DIME
spec it should not matter too much. Otherwise and for ease of reading I'd
propose making this consistent throughout all message sequence charts
and take traffic from MN1 to MN2 as trigger, assuming MN1 is the initiator
of the communication.

marco