Re: [Dime] Ben's comments on 4.3, third paragraph from end

Steve Donovan <srdonovan@usdonovans.com> Wed, 21 January 2015 16:45 UTC

Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2015 10:45:41 -0600
From: Steve Donovan <srdonovan@usdonovans.com>
To: "Wiehe, Ulrich (NSN - DE/Munich)" <ulrich.wiehe@nsn.com>, ext Ben Campbell <ben@nostrum.com>
Cc: "dime@ietf.org" <dime@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Dime] Ben's comments on 4.3, third paragraph from end

On 1/21/15 4:06 AM, Wiehe, Ulrich (NSN - DE/Munich) wrote:
> Steve,
> I'm not sure.
> My understanding is:
> 1. Two answer messages (with same application id) sent by a reporting node while not in an overload condition can have different selected overload abatement algorithms in the OC-Feature-Vector AVP.

SRD> Correct, one set of answer messages could indicate loss and the
other rate (for instance).  This would happen if the reporting node
policy prefers rate but there is a mix of reacting node capabilities.
In this case where not all reacting nodes support the reporting nodes
preferred algorithm, the reporting node could also decide to send loss
to all reacting nodes.

> 2. Two answer messages (with same application id) sent by a reporting node while in an (the same) overload condition must have the same selected overload abatement algorithm in the OC-Feature-Vector AVP if the two sets A and B are identical, where A is the intersection of the set of advertized algorithms received in the request that corresponds to the one answer message with the set of algorithms that are supported (at the time the one answer message is sent) by the reporting node, and B is the intersection of the set of advertized algorithms received in the request that corresponds to the other answer message with the set of algorithms that are supported (at the time the other answer message is sent) by the reporting node; And the set of algorithms supported by the reporting node must not change during an overload condition.

SRD> I'm a little lost in your description here.  It is possible for the
reporting node be in an overload state and be sending loss reports to
one set of reacting nodes and rate to a second set of reacting nodes.
Whether or not the reporting node does this is entirely up to the
implementation at the reporting node.

> This ensures that reacting nodes, while not changing the set of advertized algorithms, will not receive a change of the selected algorithm during an overload condition (without the need for the reporting node to keep history data).

SRD> The algorithm sent by the reporting node will be decided based on a
combination of the advertised algorithms and policy at the reporting
node.  If there is some change in policy at the reporting node that
changes the selection then the reacting node needs to be prepared to
handle the change.  I think you are suggesting we say this cannot happen
during an active overload at the reporting node.  Is this correct?

SRD> As things stand now, with the changes made in -06 and the coming
-07, the reacting node will need to be able to handle a change in
algorithm during an active overload condition.  What is the benefit of
changing this?  If the algorithm changes during an overload condition
the reacting node can just treat it as an end of one overload condition
and the start of another.