Re: [Dime] DOIC Requirements Analysis

<lionel.morand@orange.com> Mon, 10 November 2014 20:50 UTC

From: lionel.morand@orange.com
To: Ben Campbell <ben@nostrum.com>, Benoit Claise <bclaise@cisco.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2014 20:50:25 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.197.38.4]
Cc: "dime@ietf.org list" <dime@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Dime] DOIC Requirements Analysis

Hi Ben,

Please see below.

Regards,

Lionel

-----Message d'origine-----
De : DiME [mailto:dime-bounces@ietf.org] De la part de Ben Campbell
Envoyé : vendredi 7 novembre 2014 17:38
À : Benoit Claise
Cc : dime@ietf.org list
Objet : Re: [Dime] DOIC Requirements Analysis

Hi Benoit,

I will remove that.

I had mixed emotions about putting it in, since I don't know if we want the detailed sections to stay in the RFC. But the way the summary is currently structured, it just mentions requirements by number and depends on the detailed section for, well, details. So my personal inclination is to have all of Appendix E stay in the RFC. Otherwise, we would probably need to add more detail to the summary.

[LM] I think that an exhaustive comparison of the DOIC solution compared to RFC7068 requirements is not deemed required e.g. Req 1 partially compliant, etc. This could be done in generic way IMHO.
For instance, a specific section in the annex could say:

	Compared to the set of requirements listed in RFC7068, it has been decided to defer for
	future works the following aspects:
	- load indication conveyance in Diameter messages
	- specific handling of overloaded Diameter agent

	The solution defined in this document slightly deviates by design from some other
	requirements, mainly due to the decision to:
	- piggyback DOIC information over existing Diameter applications
	- limit the scope of the overload report to the application advertised in the application command and to the host/realm contained in the Origin-Host/Origin-Realm AVPs.
	Further extensions of the overload report might remove these restrictions in the future.

With such kind of wording, it is not required to refer to explicit requirement numbers used in RFC7068. And I think that we provide enough information to make people understand that the solution is not 100% compliant with the RFC7068 but it was done consciously, which is in fine the most important point for the IESG/IETF.

Does anyone else have thoughts on this?

Thanks!

Ben.