Re: [Dime] Media Independent Handover &draft-stupar-dime-mos-options-00.txt

"Patrick Stupar" <Patrick.Stupar@nw.neclab.eu> Mon, 03 March 2008 17:55 UTC

Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2008 18:50:11 +0100
From: Patrick Stupar <Patrick.Stupar@nw.neclab.eu>
To: Hannes Tschofenig <Hannes.Tschofenig@gmx.net>, dime@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Dime] Media Independent Handover &draft-stupar-dime-mos-options-00.txt
Sender: dime-bounces@ietf.org

Dear all,

Please find some additional info about the MIH work that's currently being done in MIPSHOP. Among this work's tasks, the one related to DIME WG is the definition of a solution enabling the discovery of the functional elements in the network providing the services defined by IEEE 802.21 - Media Independent Handover (MIH) draft. Such services, named Mobility Services (MoS) or MIH services, are meant to enable efficient handover procedures among heterogeneous technologies. To achieve this, IEEE 802.21 draft defines three types of services:
- Information Service (IS), providing network topology information.
- Event Service (ES), indicating changes in state and transmission behavior of the physical, data link and logical link layers of a device.
- Command Service (CS), providing a way to control the physical, data link, and logical link layers of a mobile terminal.

The solution for the discovery of such services defines DNS and DHCP extensions to provide the IP address or the FQDN of the MIH Servers. The use of one solution rather than the other depends on the location of the MIH server (which can be in the home, visited or a third party network) and of the mobile node (home or visited network).

For further information, please see:
Draft-ietf-mipshop-mstp-solution
Draft-bajko-mos-dhcp-options
Draft-bajko-mos-dns-discovery

To complete the DHCP solution, Diameter AVP extensions are required. As already explained by Hannes, in this case MIH servers information (IP address or FQDN) is transported from AAA server to the NAS, where it is transferred to DHCP Relay (which in turn delivers it to the node). Draft-stupar-dime-mos-options-00 defines such AVPs.
The DHCP-based solution is quite similar to the one defined for MIPv6 bootstrapping for the integrated scenario.

Comments and reviews are welcome and appreciated

Regards,

Patrick

--
Patrick Stupar
Research Staff Member

phone  +49 6221 4342 215
fax    +49 6221 4342 155
eMail: patrick.stupar@nw.neclab.eu

NEC Europe Limited | Registered Office: NEC House, 1 Victoria Road, London W3 6BL | Registered in England 2832014