[Dime] Notes for DIME Virtual Meeting, Feb 19, 2008

"Hannes Tschofenig" <Hannes.Tschofenig@gmx.net> Fri, 20 February 2009 16:29 UTC

From: Hannes Tschofenig <Hannes.Tschofenig@gmx.net>
To: dime@ietf.org
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 18:30:12 +0200
Subject: [Dime] Notes for DIME Virtual Meeting, Feb 19, 2008

Hi all,

We had a good discussion during our virtual interim meeting and we went
through our documents and discussed a few issues. I believe it was worth to
organize it.

Thanks to those who contributed!

Ciao
Hannes

----------

* Participants

 - Victor Fajardo
 - Martin Dolly
 - Sebastien Decugis
 - Janet Gunn
 - Mark Jones
 - Behcet Sarikaya
 - Jouni Korhonen
 - Hannes Tschofenig
 - Viqar Shaikh
 - Glen Zorn
 - Tom Taylor

Meeting minutes by Victor

* Slides

  http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/dime/trac/wiki/ConferenceBridge

* WG Status

  Hannes goes through the slides.

  - RFC 5447 published
  - API Draft still waiting for update

* Diameter API

  Presentation was skipped. Dave was not on the call. He will report to the
list
  about the document.

* QoS parameter

  Martin  : We view priority as different from QoS parameters. Priority
handling is done separately
            but related to QoS. Certain levels are related by they are
different.
  Viqar   : Concerned why priority is lumped together in QoS
  Martin  : Example: pre-engineer a VPN with certain QoS. Priority is
something that is added on top
            of QoS. So this is mixing apples and oranges.
  Tom     : Are they in the same controlling entity ?
  Martin  : Generally no. We engineer QoS based on traffic.
  Tom     : My use case is PCN termination.
  Martin  : In the case of the US, we do not do pre-emption. QoS and
priority is related by
            they are different.
  Hannes  : All parameters come from RSVP.
  Martin  : But RSVP deals with media priority. In 3GPP, diameter is
signaling.
  Hannes  : Understand where the point is heading. Example is
application-level resource
            priority?
  Martin  : There's a debate going on what's the proper AVP to use for
priority. All the
            interface in-and-around HSS. There's no impact to the media,
it's just signaling.
  Hannes  : What specifically should be clarified in this document ?
  Martin  : From service provider, the end-user is always not trusted.
  Hannes  : This document just lists a couple of AVPs but does not specify
their use. It points
            to the documents where these AVPs come from. We did not go into
details on how they
            are used in specific use cases. Did not think this was an issue.
  Viqar   : ALRP has references to session layer but some confusion in other