Re: [Dime] Dime: Diameter Overload IETF requirements, review

"THIEBAUT, LAURENT (LAURENT)" <laurent.thiebaut@alcatel-lucent.com> Thu, 06 December 2012 15:52 UTC

From: "THIEBAUT, LAURENT (LAURENT)" <laurent.thiebaut@alcatel-lucent.com>
To: Eric McMurry <emcmurry@computer.org>, "TROTTIN, JEAN-JACQUES (JEAN-JACQUES)" <jean-jacques.trottin@alcatel-lucent.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2012 16:48:00 +0100
acceptlanguage: fr-FR, en-US
Cc: "dime@ietf.org" <dime@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Dime] Dime: Diameter Overload IETF requirements, review

Hello all

About Req2, we understand that based on the usage of the *[ AVP ], there is no need to update the ""ABNF"" of the protocol describing the various Diameter applications!  Nevertheless the behaviour of the application, i.e. the SW using that "unchanged protocol" will have to be changed anyhow to support Diameter overload control. Can we reword Req2 into

The overload mechanism MUST be useable with any existing or future Diameter application.  It MUST NOT require specification changes for existing Diameter applications *but is likely to require a change of the behaviour of an entity supporting a Diameter application and the Diameter overload mechanism.*

This "is likely" is NOT an IETF normative wording (MUST, SHOULD,...) as the part of the sentence that is being added is more of an explanatory / clarification nature (I hope).

Best regards

Laurent
ALCATEL-LUCENT