Re: [Dime] I-D Action:draft-ietf-dime-diameter-qos-15.txt

"Reith, Lothar" <Lothar.Reith@detecon.com> Sun, 07 March 2010 19:34 UTC

Date: Sun, 07 Mar 2010 20:34:35 +0100
thread-topic: [Dime] I-D Action:draft-ietf-dime-diameter-qos-15.txt
thread-index: Acq+DU4lEe4BF9FsSnKqSqedniW3oQAGcD0g
From: "Reith, Lothar" <Lothar.Reith@detecon.com>
To: dime@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Dime] I-D Action:draft-ietf-dime-diameter-qos-15.txt

Dear all,

I noticed that this draft does not seem to be aligned with draft-ietf-dime-qos-attributes regarding the example given therein.

This is due to the fact, that draft-ietf-dime-diameter-qos-15.txt does not cover "online charging", only "accounting".  In my view, the term "accounting"  is more  or less synonomous with the term "offline-charging".

Because the draft-ietf-dime-qos-attributes contains an example, which is based on online-charging using DCCA (Diameter Credit Control Application), I believe this apparent lack of coverage for online charging should be fixed.

Proposed solution to fix this issue:

In draft-ietf-dime-diameter-qos-15.txt change the title of chapter 9 from "accounting" to "accounting and charging", and add a section that describes, how DCCA may be used to charge for QoS, e.g. by referring to the example given in draft-ietf-dime-qos-attributes.

Alternatively, add a separate chapter 10 with title: "online charging", in which the interworking with DCCA should be described at least at a high level, potentially also referring to the example given in draft-ietf-dime-qos-attributes.

Best Regards,
Lothar Reith

Detecon International (Deutsche Telekom Group)