Re: [Dime] OVLI: comments to 4.1

"Wiehe, Ulrich (NSN - DE/Munich)" <ulrich.wiehe@nsn.com> Mon, 09 December 2013 10:16 UTC

From: "Wiehe, Ulrich (NSN - DE/Munich)" <ulrich.wiehe@nsn.com>
To: ext Ben Campbell <ben@nostrum.com>, Jouni Korhonen <jouni.nospam@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2013 10:16:35 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.159.42.112]
Cc: "dime@ietf.org" <dime@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Dime] OVLI: comments to 4.1

For the OC-Feature-Vector AVP I still think that there is no need for anything like sequence number or timestamp (for OC-OLR things are different).

Including the sender identity of the node that sent the OC-Feature-Vector is not needed and would add complexity.

Ben wrote:

"...the point of having a sequence number here was so that if a reacting-node chooses to send the feature vector in every request, the reacting node can easily determine if the contents have changed, and ignore it if not..."

However, an unchanged Feature-Vector must not be ignored. It is still valid and the receiving node must honor it. Of course it could instead honor an identical stored Feature-Vector, but this again adds unnecessary complexity ("check if the received feature vector has changed, if not take the stored feature vector otherwise take the received feature vector" rather than "always take the received feature vector").

Ulrich