Re: sockets APIs extensions for Host Identity Protocol

Chris Newman <Chris.Newman@Sun.COM> Mon, 07 May 2007 21:31 UTC

Date: Mon, 07 May 2007 14:31:31 -0700
From: Chris Newman <Chris.Newman@Sun.COM>
Subject: Re: sockets APIs extensions for Host Identity Protocol
To: Miika Komu <miika@iki.fi>, discuss@apps.ietf.org
Cc: Thomas Henderson <thomas.r.henderson@boeing.com>

Speaking as a technical participant, not as an area director...

Application software wants to work with strings.  When I want to make a network
connection, I have a string which says what I want to connect to.  It might be
a DNS name, an IPv4 address literal, and IPv6 address literal, the field after
the "//" in a URL or whatever the string format for a HIP endpoint is going to
be.  As an application developer I don't want to care what that string means.
I might want a way to turn that string into an opaque object (or objects) and
back (with a timeout) and then use that opaque object in something equivalent
to connect and/or bind.

I also want a way to enumerate the string representations of the local
interfaces on a server so that I can offer the administrator a choice of which
interface(s) the listen ports bind to.  I don't want to care whether those are
IPv4, IPv6 or HIP or something else.

The only reason I might care what the string or opaque object refers to is for
debugging/logging/diagnostic purposes.

If I change my "connectbyname" code again, I will change it once more to use a
new OS API that hides all the v4 vs. v6 vs. HIP vs. whatever junk, preferably
to something much simpler than the code today.  If such an API isn't produced,
I will be very reluctant to change that code no matter how cool HIP might or
might not be.

So the API described in your document is one I plan to never use if at all
possible.  That might have consequences for HIP deployment, just as the present
state of IPv6 C socket APIs has not been great for IPv6 deployment.

                - Chris