[Disman] Re: LC Review: draft-ietf-disman-remops-mib-v2-09.txt

Juergen Quittek <quittek@netlab.nec.de> Wed, 15 March 2006 00:47 UTC

Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 01:47:17 +0100
From: Juergen Quittek <quittek@netlab.nec.de>
To: "Joel M. Halpern" <joel@stevecrocker.com>, Mary Barnes <mary.barnes@nortel.com>, gen-art@ietf.org
Cc: Bert Wijnen <bwijnen@lucent.com>, disman@ietf.org
Subject: [Disman] Re: LC Review: draft-ietf-disman-remops-mib-v2-09.txt

Joel,

--On 3/14/06 7:23 PM -0500 Joel M. Halpern wrote:

> (Not copying the agreements...)
>
> This is progress.  I actually was not clear reading the MIB whether
> the local lookup or the DNS lookup was expected.
> Something similar needs to be done to the earlier references to gethostbyName() etc.
> A little bit of text about the number->name direction would also be helpful,
> to explain why that is needed here.

We could do the following:

OLD:
1.3.  Lookup

   The Lookup operation enables remote lookup of addresses for a
   symbolic name as it is, for example, performed by functions
   getnameinfo() or gethostbyaddr() and lookup of symbolic names for a
   addresses as it is, for example, performed by functions getaddrinfo()
   or gethostbyname().  The lookup capability can be used to determine
   the symbolic name of a hop in a traceroute path.

NEW:
1.3.  Lookup

   The Lookup operation enables remote lookup of addresses for a
   symbolic name as it is, for example, performed by functions
   getnameinfo() or gethostbyaddr() and lookup of symbolic names for a
   addresses as it is, for example, performed by functions getaddrinfo()
   or gethostbyname().  Note that whatever lookup function is chosen,
   results are not necessarily consistent with the results of a pure
   Domain Name Service (DNS) lookup, but may be influenced by local
   lookup tables or other sources of information.  The lookup capability
   can be used to determine the symbolic name of a hop in a traceroute
   path.  Also the reverse lookup can be used, for example, for analyzing
   name lookup problems.

Would this address your concerns?

Thanks,

    Juergen