Re: [dispatch] VIPR Charter

Cullen Jennings <fluffy@cisco.com> Fri, 14 January 2011 02:29 UTC

From: Cullen Jennings <fluffy@cisco.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 19:33:50 -0700
To: Richard Shockey <richard@shockey.us>
Cc: dispatch@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [dispatch] VIPR Charter

On Jan 12, 2011, at 8:09 AM, Richard Shockey wrote:

> I still don't see how you can write a charter without dealing with the
> Number Portability issue. You really need to be explicit that this proposed
> methodology WILL FAIL in cases where the PSTN authority for the phone number
> changes. It just needs to be called out.

Richard, I'm not seeing the number portability problem here. Let walk through a use case for my cell phone along with the vipr drafts - I know the WG may do something totally different than these drafts but just for a concrete example I'll use them. My iphone is with AT&T but lets just hypothetically say that in one month it is going to move to Verizon. Now the VIPR address for my number is cisco.com. When I move my number from AT&T to Verizon, nothing changes, exactly what you want happens. Calls to my number still go to me. I don't get the problem. It seems like the right thing happened.

Now lets imagine a few other related cases than number portability. One is if I decided to sell my phone number to Rohan. This of course would not be legal in the US but if anyone is willing to sell me a 867-5309 in any NANP area code, I'd like to buy it and obviously it does happen. In this case, the seller would need to invalidate their VIPR record as they sold the number but that is normal. Again there is no real problem.

The next case is I cancel my account and AT&T decides to give the number to some new customer. I talked to several large carriers around the world and found out that they actually don't instantly reuse the numbers because the new customers are irritated to get all the calls of the old customer. Instead the leave the number unused for some period of time. The shortest period I heard was two months. That implies you need to have a validation TTL of two months or less. Obviously it might be nice to have longer but the system seem perfectly usable with this constraint on the TTL.

> Plus I really take issue with the case that private federations don't scale.
> There is no evidence of that at all. IN addition its really irrelevant to
> discuss why ENUM in e164.apra did not deploy.

We might mean different things here. One meaning of private federation could be every large telco in the wold contracted out to some company to run a a private ENUM for them - clearly that scales.

I suspect what people meant here was an enterprise going and manually configuring a SIP route for the ranges of numbers for other enterprises it talks to and keeping those up to date as the other enterprise changes the range of numbers that come to them. Lots of companies do this for a handful of parters they have lots of calls with but I think we would both agree this does not scale. Any idea on how to rephrase this.

> Needless to say when you do
> have the cooperation of governmental or service provider administrative
> entities within an jurisdiction it can and does work well.
>
> I certainly don't have any real issue with this work going forward. I'm a
> great fan of letting folks actually do things they want to so long as it is
> explicit what the limitations are.

100% agree on you we need truth in advertising here and should clearly state the limitations

PS - You assert that SP won't use this but I don't agree with you. Imagine a SP that has a whole bunch of wide band audio enabled mobile phones or mobile phones with video. If that SP enabled ViPR suddenly every enterprise that was VIPR enabled could get wide band audio and video to theses mobile phones. That would be a pretty compelling reasons for an enterprise that used ViPR to select that mobile carrier as there provider for mobile phones. Not much downside for the mobile provider - they could still bill whatever they wanted for minutes that had video or wide band audio. Seem pretty compelling to several of Cisco's customers thought nothing happens fast in this space.

You could also consider a large cable operator that wanted to enable video calling with enterprises doing something like this. The more you think about it, I'm not sure I see a SP that made most of it's money doing long distance doing this but when you break it up you realize that is not the majority of the revenue in the SP space so there are lots of SP that this could make sense for.