Re: [dispatch] draft-dawes-dispatch-logme-reqs-00.txt

"Dawes, Peter, Vodafone Group" <Peter.Dawes@vodafone.com> Mon, 10 December 2012 18:08 UTC

From: "Dawes, Peter, Vodafone Group" <Peter.Dawes@vodafone.com>
To: "Dale R. Worley" <worley@ariadne.com>, "dispatch@ietf.org" <dispatch@ietf.org>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2012 18:08:11 +0000
x-originating-ip: [145.230.12.26]
Cc: "akaithal@cisco.com" <akaithal@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: [dispatch] draft-dawes-dispatch-logme-reqs-00.txt

Hello Dale,
I think you are right that the UAS (or some entity near it) would have to echo the mark from requests to responses, alternatively at least one entity will have to be stateful and mark requests and responses so I will need to modify REQ4 on that point. Similarly, for requests that have crossed the trust domain boundary and had the log-me marking removed, a SIP entity at the network edge receiving a response would have to be stateful and re-insert the log-me marking.

Probably the test case identifier could be Session-ID, although it would be convenient for the test equipment to be able to insert its own identifier. I did not expect this test case identifier to have any function in the SIP protocol, its purpose is to help the diagnostic server aggregate logging data.

The diagnostic server identifier is a locator for a server that is accumulating the logging information and, as you suggest, it would be useful to standardize the manner in which logging information is transmitted to the specified server. I think that draft http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-kaithal-dispatch-sip-log-information-00.txt suggests something in clause 5 with

log-type =  "mailto" / "http"/ "syslog" / "tftp" /"ftp" /"sftp" / "local" / other-type

I think you are right that log-me marking will in some cases be inserted by a proxy that handles a UA's requests rather than by the UA itself, so I will make sure that is clear in the requirements.

Thanks for all of the useful pointers.

Regards,
Peter