Re: [dispatch] E2M: Proposed Charter (draft version only)

"Richard Shockey" <richard@shockey.us> Tue, 15 December 2009 19:57 UTC

From: Richard Shockey <richard@shockey.us>
To: 'IETF DISPATCH list' <dispatch@ietf.org>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 14:56:51 -0500
Subject: Re: [dispatch] E2M: Proposed Charter (draft version only)

+1 in support of this charter

As the editor of the ENUM draft on CNAM frankly I was a bit appalled at what
I was forced to go through to try and make this work to the satisfaction of
some in the RAI directorate and the IESG.  The result was nothing if not a
total kludge (see the draft) . It would have been much simpler to add the
parameter to the SIP URI but there are those that have a layer 10 conviction
that only routing information can be in the URI... but then I couldn't use
the DATA URI since that was too much like TXT RR's etc. So you have to
invent a total kludge PSTN PSTNDATA uri

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-enum-cnam-08

The point here is, BTW, that phone numbers are not going away. Not now not
ever, some folks just need to get over that issue ASAP. 99.9999 % of all SIP
transactions in the field involve phone numbers and there needs to be
simpler and more effective way of expressing and or looking up metadata
associated with those identifiers.