Re: [dispatch] Proposed charter for work on logging

"Dawes, Peter, Vodafone Group" <Peter.Dawes@vodafone.com> Thu, 13 June 2013 11:18 UTC

From: "Dawes, Peter, Vodafone Group" <Peter.Dawes@vodafone.com>
To: "dispatch@ietf.org" <dispatch@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 11:17:36 +0000
Subject: Re: [dispatch] Proposed charter for work on logging

Hello All,
Following on from the comments at IETF#86 (http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/86/minutes/minutes-86-dispatch), where there was mild support for working on logging, I have updated the log me requirements draft with 3 potential solutions (in clause 7) which can meet the requirements (http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-dawes-dispatch-logme-reqs-02.txt). Opinions and comments on these or any other potential solutions would be very welcome.

It was commented at IETF#86 that a security analysis is needed so I would like to understand if any scenarios exist with potential security threats in order to add them to requirements. In many cases, a network simply logs the signalling that passes through it so no new security issues are created. Collecting end-to-end logging for signalling that crosses multiple networks must not compromise security or privacy, but I would expect networks to remove any security sensitive fields before forwarding signalling regardless of whether that signalling is of interest to logging. Also, as far as I can see no final decision was made whether INSIPID could be a home for the logging topic. I think INSIPID would be a good working group to discuss a log me indicator since troubleshooting is one possible use of session-id.

Regards,
Peter