Re: [dispatch] FW: New VersionNotification for draft-patel-dispatch-cpc-oli-parameter-00

Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat@cisco.com> Wed, 17 March 2010 14:58 UTC

Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 10:51:41 -0400
From: Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat@cisco.com>
To: "Patel, Milan" <Milan.Patel@InterDigital.com>
Cc: DISPATCH <dispatch@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [dispatch] FW: New VersionNotification for draft-patel-dispatch-cpc-oli-parameter-00

Patel, Milan wrote:
> Hi Paul,
>
> Thanks for pointing out the NIT. I will address that in the next
> revision.
>
> Your other comments seem to be specific to the semantics of certain OLI
> values. That is out of scope of both the internet draft and IETF, since
> they were defined elsewhere (ITU-T).

You miss my point. I am not suggesting there is anything wrong with the
semantics of the values. My point is that values with these semantics do
not belong in a URI that is being used to describe the originator of a
call, or in the URI used to describe the destination of the call. They
are properties of the *call*.

So, these really don't belong in a URI at all. They belong in some other
header or headers.

> After receiving Jon's comments, I had extensive discussions with
> operators and vendors about the use of CPC and OLI currently in the
> field. The current version of the draft reflects such usage and the
> syntax of the CPC and OLI as defined in version -02 of the draft has
> been scrutinized by operators and vendors attending 3GPP and has
> receiving unanimous support.
>
> The draft defines the CPC and OLI as tel URI parameters. For usage with
> SIP URIs, further syntax would need to be defined extending the SIP URI
> parameter as defined in RFC 3261. Currently, we see no requirements to
> include CPC or OLI for SIP URIs. If this is needed in the future, a
> further Internet-Draft can be proposed.

For those that truly describe properties of a URI (if there are any of
those), you may be right.

For those that describe properties of a call, if they were carried as
part of the call rather than as properties of the URI, then it wouldn't
matter if the URI is sip or tel.

But in reality, even the properties that describe the caller aren't
properly properties of the caller's URI. For instance, in principle the
same originating "number" might be used by one phone in a prison and
another in a police station.

ISTM that piggybacking these on the TEL uri is simply a convenient
"ploy", because both phone numbers and these properties are managed by
the ITU.

	Thanks,
	Paul