[dix] fyi: SAMLv2 Lightweight Web Browser SSO Profile

Jeff Hodges <Jeff.Hodges@neustar.biz> Sat, 24 June 2006 18:18 UTC

Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2006 11:17:40 -0700
From: Jeff Hodges <Jeff.Hodges@neustar.biz>
To: Digital Identity Exchange <dix@ietf.org>
Subject: [dix] fyi: SAMLv2 Lightweight Web Browser SSO Profile

Continuing in the vein of exploring how to make things easier
implementation-wise for web sso relying parties, aka "service providers" --
which is a significant aspect of what's been discussed on this list -- we've
crafted a "SAMLv2 Lightweight Web Browser SSO Profile":

   http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hodges-saml-lsso-00.txt

This profile builds upon the "HTTP-POST-NoXMLdsig" SAML binding referenced in a
prior message [1].

We understand that the overall problem space being discussed on this list goes
beyond "simple web SSO", but there are several reasons we feel it worthwhile to
craft a simple, lightweight, SAML web sso profile and contribute it to the
discussion:

  * it is a large multi-faceted problem space and we find it valuable
    to break things down into smaller pieces

  * we want to explore which "knobs and buttons" in the existing SAML Web
    SSO Profile we can "turn down" in order to simplify service provider
    implementation and deployment effort [2]

  * we want to explore whether we can craft things such that the solutions
    for the other portions of the problem space can leverage a SAML
    profile such as this

  * there are a non-trivial number of SAML-based deployments [3]
    and products [4], so crafting a lightweight SSO mechanism that
    more closely resembles an existing SAML profile has the benefit
    of facilitating migration/interoperation for implementors and
    deployers

JeffH

[1] fyi: SAMLv2: HTTP POST “NoXMLdsig” Binding
     http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/dix/current/msg00720.html

[2] e.g. by constraining the set of SAML bindings the web sso profile relies
     upon, eg the artifact binding -- which requires "callbacks" on the part
     of the sP to the IDP/identity agent -- implementation, and especially
     deployment is significantly simplified.

[3] e.g.: http://shibboleth.internet2.edu/seas.html
           http://shibboleth.internet2.edu/community.html
           http://www.openidp.org/