WAE topic/problem scope (was: Stab at grouping of problem (was: Re: [dix] Agenda bashing))

Jeff Hodges <Jeff.Hodges@neustar.biz> Fri, 14 July 2006 04:07 UTC

Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 20:59:50 -0700
From: Jeff Hodges <Jeff.Hodges@neustar.biz>
To: Digital Identity Exchange <dix@ietf.org>
Subject: WAE topic/problem scope (was: Stab at grouping of problem (was: Re: [dix] Agenda bashing))
Cc: IETF HTTP Auth <ietf-http-auth@lists.osafoundation.org>

Just to attempt to help clarify, in my understanding WAE was begot by the
conflation of three topic areas..

  1. in-protocol authentication (for HTTP)

     e.g. that which is defined within the HTTP spec set itself and is
     used by an HTTP client to authn directly with an HTTP server. Presently
     the two available mechanisms are Basic and Digest. There are use cases,
     eg CalDAV, that would ostensibly benefit from a wider range of
     in-protocol HTTP authn mechanisms. My understanding is that this was the
     motivation for creating the ietf-http-auth@ list.

  2. application-level authentication/SSO and attribute sharing (for HTTP-based
     web-oriented (eg portal-based) apps)

     This is a well-trod area with a plethora of existing solution approaches
     which are deployed to varying extents: SAML web sso profiles, Liberty
     ID-FF, Shib, OpenID, SXIP(/DIX), LID, WS-Federation, RoboForm, etc. The
     primary reason this topic is on the table in this venue is a perception
     that perhaps "more" can be done in order to facilitate wider and more quick
     adoption amongst websites in the wider Internet, eg "the blogosphere".
     This was the motivation for creation of the dix@ list.

  3. anti-phishing

     The motivation why this is on the list is obvious.
     Effective overall solutions will involve a large component of user
     interface (UI) approaches. Some would argue that the UI aspects are the
     first-order ones (and this is not a typical IETF problem domain). Though
     as well as UI, any solutions will likely rely on capabilities/properties
     obtained from solutions to 1 and/or 2 above, and may require specific
     capabilities/properties that 1 and/or 2 don't otherwise provide.

At this point, it isn't clear to me that the WAE BoF represents just one
overall "problem" to solve. Each of these are large distinct topic areas in
their own right, though they do intersect. It will be a challenge to not
short-shrift one or more of them. It should be an entertaiing discussion.

JeffH