[DMM] Roman Danyliw's No Objection on draft-ietf-dmm-srv6-mobile-uplane-23: (with COMMENT)

Roman Danyliw via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Sat, 31 December 2022 01:23 UTC

From: Roman Danyliw via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-dmm-srv6-mobile-uplane@ietf.org, dmm-chairs@ietf.org, dmm@ietf.org, sgundave@cisco.com, sgundave@cisco.com
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2022 17:23:06 -0800
Subject: [DMM] Roman Danyliw's No Objection on draft-ietf-dmm-srv6-mobile-uplane-23: (with COMMENT)

Roman Danyliw has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-dmm-srv6-mobile-uplane-23: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dmm-srv6-mobile-uplane/

COMMENT:

Thank you to Stephen Farrell for the SECDIR review.

** I am puzzled by the characterization of this document in the abstract text
and in the Introduction (Section 1) as “specif[ying] the applicability of SRv6
(Segment Routing IPv6) to mobile networks.”  This seems inaccurate. If this
document was focused on applicability, I would have expected it to describe
_existing_ protocol behavior being applied to the mobile network use case.
However, Section 6 is defining new SR behavior in support of a mobility
solution.

** I also don’t understand the 3GPP coordination described in the shepherd
report resulting in this document being moved from PS to Informational status.
Is this new behavior requested by 3GPP?

** Section 3.  Editorial.
   ... on the other-hand, there are new use-cases like distributed
   NFVi that are also challenging network operations.

Is it “NFVi” or NFVI”?  The RFC Editor acronym list
(https://www.rfc-editor.org/materials/abbrev.expansion.txt) uses all caps.

** Section 3.
   In the meantime, applications have shifted to use IPv6, and network
   operators have started adopting IPv6 as their IP transport.

Is there citations that can be provided to substantiate these motivating trends?

** Section 3.
   SRv6 has been
   deployed in dozens of networks
   [I-D.matsushima-spring-srv6-deployment-status].

Is there a non-expired draft that can be referenced?

** Section 3.  Typo. s/architetural/architectural/

** Section 5.2

   The gNB MAY resolve the IP address received via the control plane
   into a SID list using a mechanism like PCEP, DNS-lookup, LISP
   control-plane or others.  The resolution mechanism is out of the
   scope of this document.

Please rephrase this text so that that normative “MAY” does not suggest a list
of protocol that are immediately said to be out of scope in the next sentence.

** Section 5.3.  What is a “SR Gateway”?  I can’t find a reference to it in
other SPRING documents.  The only text I can find here is that it “maps the
GTP-U traffic to SRv6.” -- What does that mapping activity entail? -- Is the
gateway the boundary of the SR domain? Yes?

** Section 8.  If I was an implementer, I would have trouble understanding the
purpose of this section.  It appears to be a list of annotated references.  Is
their implementation suggested for this mobility use case?

** Section 8
   A mobile network may be required to implement "network slices", which
   logically separate network resources.  User-plane behaviors
   represented as SRv6 segments would be part of a slice.

Are different “network slices” also different SR domains?