Re: [DMM] What is the slice ID in MBH?

Vasilenko Eduard <vasilenko.eduard@huawei.com> Tue, 24 August 2021 07:28 UTC

From: Vasilenko Eduard <vasilenko.eduard@huawei.com>
To: Uma Chunduri <umac.ietf@gmail.com>
CC: "dmm@ietf.org" <dmm@ietf.org>, "Majumdar, Kausik" <Kausik.Majumdar@commscope.com>, RTGWG <rtgwg@ietf.org>, "Dongjie (Jimmy)" <jie.dong@huawei.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2021 07:28:01 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.47.207.50]
Subject: Re: [DMM] What is the slice ID in MBH?

Hi Uma,
“Slice ID” is like “DSCP” – should be in the basic header or very close to.
Maybe you are right: “unified Slice ID” is a too big challenge to push inside IETF, even more challenge to add 3GPP on the list. Because IETF is fragmented on different WGs, “unified slice ID” should be pushed in many that is “mission impossible”.
Then everybody would develop his own “Slice ID”: MPLS, SRv6, UDP port range, VLAN. Every box should support all types of “Slice ID” encoding for the gateway function.
And then would be slow slicing adoption on the market. Slicing would need a much bigger business case to develop, test, and support all these permutations.